Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Fijijohn
(newbie) Tue 06-Aug-13 19:49:58
Print Post

How can a line cause TWO gateways to appear?

[link to this post]

I am in Fiji and we have one DSL provider. They provide a NetComm NB604N WiFi router (w/ modem) with their service. Normally, once connected, the router defaults to providing a gateway address of 192.168.1.1 and DHCP is turned on. At one specific location (i.e., one specific telephone line), when a NetComm router (which performs as above at all other locations) dials a connection, it hands out TWO sets of IP addresses, 192.168.1.x AND 192.168.10.x. Each time you connect to the router (wired or wirelessly) you have a 50% chance of getting an address from either subnet. If you do an ipconfig, you see TWO gateways, 192.168.1.1 AND 192.168.10.1. If you get the xxx.xxx.1.x addres,s you have Internet connectivity, but if you get a xxx.xxx.10.x address you do not.

The same router that hands out two sets of address at the one bad location works perfectly at two other locations. I have tested this with three different routers. All work perfectly everywhere except the one bad location. Every router I have tested at the bas location hands out two subnets, two gateways.

The local ISP appears clurless as to how it could happen. They keep sending out "line techs" to "fix the fault" but nothing gets fixed. Any idea HOW this can happen?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Aug-13 20:17:40
Print Post

Re: How can a line cause TWO gateways to appear?

[re: Fijijohn] [link to this post]

Stab in the dark ... If routers got uPnP ON try switching it OFF.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Aug-13 20:23:19
Print Post

What's router's DHCP page look like in bad location? c.f. good location?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 06-Aug-13 21:00:40
Print Post

Some routers run two LAN IP ranges at the same time - Speedtouch comes to mind.

Very unlikely to be anything to do with the ADSL side.

My bet would be on another router or PC with ICS enabled or something is present at the dodgy location. What happens if the DSL router is switched off or unplugged from the LAN - if you reboot a PC does it get an IP address etc ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Fijijohn
(newbie) Tue 06-Aug-13 21:27:38
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

With nothing else connected except NetComm router on this line, it hands out both subnets. If router unplugged, and using cable to connect PC to LAN, no address (169.xxx.xxx.xxx). I tried to log in to the 192.168.10.1 and get a log in page but cannot get past password. (Not the same password as on the 192.168.1.1 side.)
Standard User Fijijohn
(newbie) Tue 06-Aug-13 21:28:33
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I will try that!
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Aug-13 21:37:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fijijohn:
(169.xxx.xxx.xxx).

169.254.xxx.xxx I think you will find wink
I've had my Microsoft training! smile

Zen 8000 Pro
  Print Thread

Jump to