Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TheCodexNecro
(experienced) Thu 08-Aug-13 06:51:49
Print Post

BT NTe5 Question

[link to this post]

Hey guys,

I'm really confused about a little issue I'm having here.

To cut a long story short, I was trying to troubleshoot my slow broadband speeds, so I removed the face plate of my BT socket in order to test my router in the test socket.

When I removed the face plate, I noticed that there wasn't any wires connecting to any of the numbered terminals? Is this normal? I replaced the face plate, plugged my router in as normal and everything works. What is confusing me is the lack of wires connected to the back of the face plate.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it normal?

It's a main phone line.

Thanks in advance.

PlusnetUnlimited
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Thu 08-Aug-13 07:03:53
Print Post

Re: BT NTe5 Question

[re: TheCodexNecro] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheCodexNecro:
Hey guys,

I'm really confused about a little issue I'm having here.

To cut a long story short, I was trying to troubleshoot my slow broadband speeds, so I removed the face plate of my BT socket in order to test my router in the test socket.

When I removed the face plate, I noticed that there wasn't any wires connecting to any of the numbered terminals? Is this normal? I replaced the face plate, plugged my router in as normal and everything works. What is confusing me is the lack of wires connected to the back of the face plate.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it normal?

It's a main phone line.

Thanks in advance.

If the NTE is the only phone socket you have in your home then that is normal. The numbered connections are used for extension wiring.
(experienced) Thu 08-Aug-13 07:08:24
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

Thanks a lot for that reply! That has put my mind at ease. I was panicking in case something was wrong.

I do have another telephone socket in the house but its an entirely separate line with its own number.

PlusnetUnlimited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User systemx
(experienced) Thu 08-Aug-13 07:19:46
Print Post

[re: TheCodexNecro] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheCodexNecro:
Thanks a lot for that reply! That has put my mind at ease. I was panicking in case something was wrong.

I do have another telephone socket in the house but its an entirely separate line with its own number.

Lovely. Just to be sure, do you have an alarm connected to the line which you are investigating or is it just for BB and/or a phone?
I ask because it is not uncommon for these to be connected to network side of the NTE and this may be at the root of your BB problem.
(experienced) Thu 08-Aug-13 07:30:33
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

Thanks again for the reply mate.

No its just broadband and phone connected to it via an ADSL nation microfilter.

I was really just following part of plusnet's procedure before they'd begin investigating my speed issues. Nothing has been changed on my end when things started to go down hill. But that's another story.

I hope this thread may help anyone else wondering the same things about the wires behind the face plate.

Again, thank you ever so much for helping me smile

PlusnetUnlimited
  Print Thread

Jump to