Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fishfamilynet
(newbie) Tue 13-Aug-13 01:24:58
Print Post

Unused phone causing net dropouts?

[link to this post]

Hello everyone,

So after having tonnes of problems with talktalk, I switched to sky. The line was apparently fixed, and the speed was decent. I was getting around 11,000 Kbps, which is what i should expect on my line. However, after originally having no problems, some bumps started to appear. My line stats now are as follows;

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8190 kbps 797 kbps
Line Attenuation 35.5 dB 21.4 dB
Noise Margin 6.7 dB 17.17 dB

I'm well aware this is under performing, but it's more than usable and I can stream with no issues.
However, The main issue I'm having is that when the phone is plugged into the filter, my net seems to drop out randomly and when picking up the phone (while the net is in a dropping out loop) and doing the 17070 quiet line test, it's very very noisy. It normally settles after about 2-3 minutes and then after at least 12 hours it'll do it again. So I thought this could be a filter issue, and replaced the standard sky one with an expensive alternative commonly recommended on the internet, at the same time I replaced the Rj11 cable too. Previously to replacing the filter and rj11 cable, I had the phone unplugged from the filter and the net had been up for a long time, i'm confident it would of done so for much longer. When I replaced the filter and cable, I decided to try with the phone plugged in also, then it dropped out randomly this evening.
There are no extensions on the line to the rest of the house, and when the net isn't dropping out the line is perfectly clear. The problems are completely random, no one is using the phones and no one is attempting to call us. We can make and receive calls as normal. The router is losing sync, not just a wifi issue. I'm using a wired connection.

So whats the next step? I'd obviously like use of my phones that are being paid for, but right now it's unplugged again. Is it likely that phone unit itself is causing these issues, and causing all kinds of line problems, or is this something exterior? I'm entirely positive the filter is in perfect working order, aswell as the cabling and router. When it comes back up the speed is as before, on the same profile

I appreciate the help, and if anyone read all that!

Thanks!

Edited by fishfamilynet (Tue 13-Aug-13 01:30:05)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Aug-13 01:49:39
Print Post

Re: Unused phone causing net dropouts?

[re: fishfamilynet] [link to this post]

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8190 kbps 797 kbps
Line Attenuation 35.5 dB 21.4 dB
Noise Margin 6.7 dB 17.17 dB
It's under performing you're right.
However, The main issue I'm having is that when the phone is plugged into the filter, my net seems to drop out randomly and when picking up the phone (while the net is in a dropping out loop) and doing the 17070 quiet line test, it's very very noisy.
So it's not noisy all of the time?

So whats the next step? I'd obviously like use of my phones that are being paid for, but right now it's unplugged again.
So it ONLY does it when this phones plugged in? If so have you tried another phone as the blames pointing at this phone. Borrow one or something, most people have a spare old corded one somewhere.

I know you say there's no extensions but it cant hurt to try in the TEST socket anyway.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.exb...

If it's still faulty on another phone give Sky a call. Let them know that the internet keeps dropping out when your landline is plugged in. Explain you have trieed a different phone, filter and Rj11 cable, also explain that when it drops out the telephone is extremely fuzzy and it's extremely hard to make a call during this time.

Sky will probably want to have evidence of the drop outs on their system to send somebody out. So you are best to keep the phone connected assuming it only drops with it connected. Sky can see every time the routers dropping out. As it's an intermittent issue the line will probably test fine when the engineer comes out so you may have to get numerous engineers out to get this resolved.
Standard User fishfamilynet
(newbie) Tue 13-Aug-13 02:02:20
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Nope, It's only noisy at certain times, and when this 'noise' surfaces the net starts dropping out too and can't resync. The noise stops, and the net will reconnect just fine. When the net is stable, the line is crystal clear.

And yes, It's only doing it when the phones have been plugged in, at least as far as I can tell. The net was syncd for 66 hours, and the only reason it dropped down was DLM re syncing a few days back. It would of be stable for almost a week I'd guess. It might be pure co incidence to do it when the phone is plugged back in, but I want to say it's not, I'll go and get a simple and cheap corded phone to see if that does it. Maybe an answering machine built onto the phone base unit could cause it?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Aug-13 02:09:22
Print Post

[re: fishfamilynet] [link to this post]

Not sure why it would cause an issue but devices can cause noise on a line.
Just something cheap like this would do to check. You can always return things to Argos relatively easy too http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/552...

Another suggestion, which works well on faulty Sky boxes is to double filter. So plus another filter into the phone side of the filter and the phone into the 2nd filter. ADSL remains in the 1st filter.
So with some Sky boxes which become faulty they start causing noise on the line. Double filtering often stops it interfering with the broadband. Of course the sky box is still faulty so it's not a true solution.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Aug-13 11:39:35
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Or there is the start of a HR (High Resistance) fault that is impacting broadband already, but only occasionally impacting voice service.

In short a poor joint somewhere, in home, street, exchange

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to