Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tamwinsle
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 17:55:08
Print Post

Trying to plug my router into an extension!

[link to this post]

Please can anyone help as TalkTalk don't seem to be able to resolve my problem. I have unbearably slow internet (.08mbps) and it's very unstable (dropping out every 10 mins). Talk Talk have sent me a new router but the problem persists. For instance, it took me over an hour to upload these pictures to TinyPic!

I do have quite a complicated set up in the house.
It's quite a large 3 storey house and what I think is the master socket is at the very top in the roof space! I would therefore like to locate the router more centrally in the house but it doesn't work on any of my extensions. I do have a BT ADSL v1.0 faceplate on the master socket so I haven't been using an ADSL filter on the master socket.
I recently bought a replacement NTE5 faceplate with A B terminals (on someone's recommendation) but am unsure how to wire this correctly.

I've tried to take some pictures to show what i'm faced with (apologies for quality but it is in the loft!!) This is the set up:

Pic 1 shows two sockets, the bottom one is what I think is the master socket with the BT adsl faceplate. I'm not sure what the upper socket does, but lots of wires lead into it from the lower socket.

Pic 2 is a close up of the master socket.

Pic 3: Just for the purposes of showing what is there, I removed the inside cover and this is what comes into the lower socket. Attached to this is the inside cover and then the adsl faceplate goes onto that. You can just make out the back of the ADSL faceplate underneath the inside cover in Pic 4

Pic 5 shows what is behind the faceplate of the upper socket and again, just to show what's there, I removed the inside cover of this socket and Pic 6 shows what wires come into the upper socket and Pic 7 shows what some of those wires are attached to on the inside cover.

Please does anyone have any idea how I could sort out this jumble to enable me to locate my router more centrally?

Just to complicate things, I also have an odd little box in my bedroom which looks like this when opened up!
Pic 8.

As you can tell, I'm no expert but have moved wires around before (e.g. disconnected the bell wire) and have the proper wiring tool!

Thanks very much in advance for any help.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 17-Aug-13 17:58:21
Print Post

Re: Trying to plug my router into an extension!

[re: tamwinsle] [link to this post]

Looks like the top NTE5 has a separate phone number on it from a second line.

Your current setup is ideal for ADSL, what are you trying to do ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Aug-13 18:02:31
Print Post

If you have slow internet when at the master socket and the ADSL v1.0 faceplate is disconnected so that you are using the test socket for the ADSL modem and none of of the other phone sockets work in the property (that are the same telephone number) then you probably have just a very long line and not much you can do.

i.e. we need to see the connection speed, attenuation and noise margin figures from the router http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc can give you an estimate of how good/bad/indifferent the figures are.

From the quick glimpse, you appear to have the incoming line (black cable) going to A/B on the back of the NTE5, which is good. Then all the exfensions (and maybe the top socket) are wired from the back of the faceplate.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tamwinsle
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 18:03:44
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

That would make sense as the previous owner had a home office on the top floor with separate business line.
All I'm trying to so is be able to use my router from one of the many extensions scattered around the house, rather than it being tied to the master socket I the loft.
At the mo, that doesn't work.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 17-Aug-13 18:10:48
Print Post

why ? performance can't be better.

Just replace the filtered faceplate with a standard one (from the socket above, perhaps), missing off the ring wire, and you'll get what you want.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User tamwinsle
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 18:13:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
i.e. we need to see the connection speed, attenuation and noise margin figures from the router http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc can give you an estimate of how good/bad/indifferent the figures are.

Does this help?

ADSL (Sync) Summary
System uptime: 2:48:37
Modem ADSL (Sync) uptime: 1:45:32
Interleaving: On
ADSL mode: G.DMT
ADSL settings: PVC:0/38
ADSL line speed (kbps): up 448 down 1120
Line attentuation (dB): up 31.5 down 63.5
SN margin (dB): up 15.0 down 15.5
Total errors seconds: 1
Red - Error Green - Connected and ready
Amber - Connecting, please wait
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 17-Aug-13 18:16:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
From the quick glimpse, you appear to have the incoming line (black cable) going to A/B on the back of the NTE5, which is good. Then all the exfensions (and maybe the top socket) are wired from the back of the faceplate.
from a longer glimpse the top socket is on the other green/black A/B pair coming in from outside, its faceplate has a separate phone number sticker on it.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 17-Aug-13 18:17:18
Print Post

do not connect this to an extension under any circumstances, if that's what you get from a filtered faceplate or from the master test socket direct.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User tamwinsle
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 18:26:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by yarwell:
why ? performance can't be better.

Just replace the filtered faceplate with a standard one (from the socket above, perhaps), missing off the ring wire, and you'll get what you want.

Ah, I see (I think)! I will try that.
So am I wrong in presuming the closer you are to your router, the better your wireless performance?

Thank you for help.
Standard User tamwinsle
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 18:45:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by yarwell:
do not connect this to an extension under any circumstances, if that's what you get from a filtered faceplate or from the master test socket direct.

Sorry, I misled you. I was working wirelessly at the time! I've now plugged into the router via ehternet and plugger the router into the test socket on the master socket and hereare my results:
Your Estimated connection speed using ADSL mode (maximum 8 Mbps)
Good
Normal speed range at 63.5dB attenuation is 300Kbps to 2033Kbps
Target Margin Estimate
9dB 1483
6dB 1645
3dB 1825

So not as bad as before??!!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to