Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User swlivesley
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-13 20:33:34
Print Post

Broadband Dropping

[link to this post]

Hey All! It's my first time posting, so I hope it's in the right section.

Basically I have a Belkin N-500 router, with an AOL broadband connection. The speed itself is perfect, in fact its very good. But the connection continuously drops out, and I mean continuously. Several times a day I have to restart it. There is currently, 2 laptops, 2 computers, 2 tablets, and 4 phones connected to it at any one time using the bandwidth, but none of them are using anything hefty like movie streaming, its basic browsing and low quality youtube videos. Also, the connection to the devices is refused sometimes, and I can't access the setup page over my wireless.

Does anyone have an idea of how to sort it out or what could be wrong? What kind of information do you need from me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Aug-13 20:50:20
Print Post

Re: Broadband Dropping

[re: swlivesley] [link to this post]

Is the router reporting the ADSL line dropping out? OR is it what it sounds like that the wireless is dropping out, in which case it could be bursts on interference on the WiFi frequencies or the Belkin just doing what some routers do and fall over now and then.

So first its look at ADSL statistics and make sure line is stable.
Secondly, if that is the case, can you turn off wireless on devices and figure out if its one that is consistently crashing the wireless side.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User swlivesley
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-13 22:03:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

On the front of the router, it reports that everything is fine. Where do I get the ADSL statistics? Is that the information about noise margin and what not?

I'll try out various items tomorrow and see if I can find a common link.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Aug-13 22:18:27
Print Post

Yes the attenuation, connection speed and noise margin.

Also how many wireless networks can your devices see? If more than ten possibly wireless congestion

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Aug-13 20:31:33
Print Post

The 1st thing I'd be doing was trying a different router, do you have a friend or neighbour you might borrow one from ?

Standard User swlivesley
(newbie) Thu 22-Aug-13 23:16:19
Print Post

Most of the devices can see around 9 networks, sometimes 12, sometimes 8 :\
I'll grab the stats soon.

And yes I do have a spare router in the cupboard, I changed it over a couple of years ago because the bandwidth it provided was minimal to say the least haha.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Aug-13 08:56:52
Print Post

Maybe worth looking at 5GHz wireless kit if a few of your devices support it but less congested.

Another is experiment with channel selection on your own wireless router to find what works best

Standard User swlivesley
(newbie) Tue 27-Aug-13 15:50:53
Print Post

Hey all, here are the stats of the router.

ADSL
Type Interleave Path
Status SHOWTIME
Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps 6983Kb 971Kb
Noise Margin 11 10
Output power(dBm) 126 200
Attenuation(dB) 44 22

Also, I've tried various channels before, and the ones I have selected work the best for my devices. The other channels are congested from other networks.

Edited by swlivesley (Tue 27-Aug-13 15:53:01)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Aug-13 08:49:07
Print Post

Okay so next there is a drop out see if adsl stats show a resync or are vastly different.

The stats are ok but raised noise margin may have seen some instability and slowed it down to stabilise connection

Print Thread

Jump to