Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kr236rk
(learned) Mon 26-Aug-13 16:51:23
Print Post

AOL emails?

[link to this post]

Hi,

How do I save my emails? I made a folder on my hard drive for important emails and copied whole 'aol-saved' folders from my ISP programme page, but when I tried to open them Windows said it didn't recognise the folder type.

Is it not possible to convert emails into Notepad format?

Thanks,

Ric
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 26-Aug-13 17:27:41
Print Post

Re: AOL emails?

[re: kr236rk] [link to this post]

are you using AOL software to do this ? or the web interface ? or ......

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Aug-13 17:47:59
Print Post

Where are these emails at the mo'? In AOL's Webmail ( http://info.aol.co.uk/email/ )?

What do you mean by 'my ISP programme page'? Is that AOL Webmail?

Do you know you can download your AOL emails to your PC using POP3 or IMAP in a mail client?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kr236rk
(learned) Mon 26-Aug-13 17:55:32
Print Post

At the side of my AOL panel appear all the 'save folders', if I right click on any of them i get the option to 'Save as' so I can save / copy to my C drive or anywhere else - but I can't open those saved files, saving them this way creates a file type that Windows cannot open. I don't understand the other methods of saving emails - please explain, thanks.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 26-Aug-13 17:59:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by kr236rk:
At the side of my AOL panel

we don't know what you mean, We don't use AOL regularly so you're going to have to go right ahead and explain precisely what you are doing here.

Which software do you use, step by step.

We can't see or hear what you can.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Aug-13 18:15:28
Print Post

http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do?cmd...

Have you tried the above?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Aug-13 18:19:54
Print Post

You need to be much more specific. As pointed out, we can't see what you can see. You are omitting important facts. Not many peeps are familiar with the details of AOL. If you want help, which we can certainly supply, you need to spell everything out. frown
creates a file type that Windows cannot open.
What file type? Is it .EML?

If so you need an email client installed on your PC to read them properly. However they are ordinary text files and can be seen in flat mode by opening them with NOTEPAD.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User kr236rk
(learned) Mon 26-Aug-13 18:31:34
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Sorry, I thought there were lots of people who used AOL on this forum? My mistake, apologies.

The files are PFC Files (.pfc)

No, with respect, I am not going to explain the AOL ISP system here because it would take forever - I need to find a forum with AOL users who have faced this issue.

All I want to do is archive important emails in Microsoft Notepad or another suitable format, so that I can store them on removable drives in case my computer suffers a serious crash at some stage.

IOW I want to back up my saved emails.

Thanks.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Aug-13 18:37:12
Print Post

By installing the AOL software, you have tied yourself to a proprietary system that is not well-known, unlike Windows, when you could have easily got the same functionality, like browser and mail client, from more eminent recognisable software.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Aug-13 18:41:06
Print Post

The files are PFC Files (.pfc)
It seems MrSaffron has given you info on these.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to