Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User S3xYH3xY
(newbie) Tue 27-Aug-13 20:27:23
Print Post

New property, slowww internet

[link to this post]

Hello,

I just moved into a new property and the internet is very slow.

I orderd an AdslNation XTE-2005 faceplate and a new RJ11 cable to see if this speeds up things. Due for delivery tomorrow.

I took the faceplate off the BT master socket today to have a look and there doesn't appear to be any wires connected to the faceplate itself, and the colour of wires are a bit confusing.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/nicktopmotor...

There is a black and green wire that seems to be connected to a resistor, what is it?

and there is an orange and white wire connected to A and B of the inner section of the BT box.

I've been reading this guide http://www.adslnation.com/downloads/docs/XTE-2005_Gu...

Do i just connect the orange and white cable to the new XTE-2005 faceplate? And where abouts do i connect them?

or do i also need to do something with this green and black wire?

Sorry for all the questions, i was recommended to this forum by a friend who said its full of very tech savvy people smile

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Nick

Edited by S3xYH3xY (Tue 27-Aug-13 21:46:01)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Aug-13 23:40:04
Print Post

Re: New property, slowww internet

[re: S3xYH3xY] [link to this post]

No idea on the resistor never seen that before and if this is a brand new house why does it have a very old master socket?

Wires to a and b are fine, you have no extensions based on pictures shown. The key is what are the lines stats? And how far do you think you are from the telephone exchange?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 28-Aug-13 09:16:35
Print Post

You do NOTHING to any of those wires. The Orange and White stay exactly where they are and the faceplate plugs on to the front.

As for the resistor across the Green and Black - they are a second pair and unused by your installation. What value is the resistor? The only thoughts are that it was put in to simulate Out of Service or to kill noise on that line. Wait until your faceplate is installed and get your line stats and use Router Stats Lite to get a 24 hour plot of Atten and SNR, then remove the resistor and repeat. You will then have two sets of figures to compare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User S3xYH3xY
(newbie) Wed 28-Aug-13 09:34:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Im using a LinkSys x3000 router and the stats are follows

- - - - -

DSL UpStream Rate (Kbps):448
DSL DownStream Rate (Kbps):4832

Down Up
DSL Noise Margin (0.1 dB): 59 200
DSL Attenuation (0.1 dB): 550 315
DSL Transmit Power (0.1 dB): 195 121

- - - - -

Pretty sure those figures are x10, i seem to recall reading that on the linksys forum.

You are approximately 3.95km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!

Bummer, that's a long distance from the exchange frown

Nick
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-13 09:48:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I suspect the 2nd picture shows a diode connected across the 2nd (spare) pair, I believe sometimes used to mark pairs which have been proved but not connected .
Standard User S3xYH3xY
(newbie) Wed 28-Aug-13 09:56:49
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Oh dear...

You are approximately 3.95km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!

frown

My linksys x3000 stats report the following:

DSL UpStream Rate (Kbps):448
DSL DownStream Rate (Kbps):4832

Down Up
DSL Noise Margin (0.1 dB): 59 200
DSL Attenuation (0.1 dB): 550 315
DSL Transmit Power (0.1 dB): 195 121

Those figures are x10 according the people on the linksys forum, but they're still high even at 10 times the value.

Nick
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 28-Aug-13 10:00:32
Print Post

You do NOTHING to any of those wires. The Orange and White stay exactly where they are and the faceplate plugs on to the front.

As for the resistor across the Green and Black - they are a second pair and unused by your installation. What value is the resistor? The only thoughts are that it was put in to simulate Out of Service or to kill noise on that line. Wait until your faceplate is installed and get your line stats and use Router Stats Lite to get a 24 hour plot of Atten and SNR, then remove the resistor and repeat. You will then have two sets of figures to compare.

M H C

Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Wed 28-Aug-13 10:25:46
Print Post

To get the LINE Distance to the Exchange-

http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker

If it does not cover your phone number, then give Andrew the line-of-sight/crow's flight/point-to-point distance and also the apparent road distance, using Google Earth or similar.

Typically, the actual line length will be about 1.5 times the point-to-point distance and around 1.25 times the road distance; although there can be distinct variations.

==============================

You should also access your Router's Admin stats, looking for particularly the Downstream and Upstream Attenuations; and any thing else on that part.
Standard User S3xYH3xY
(newbie) Wed 28-Aug-13 10:42:13
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

I used that website.

The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 4.26 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 0.45 Mbps
BT Recorded Line Length to Exchange (m): 4442
BE LLU: Not Activated

Nick
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 28-Aug-13 10:49:42
Print Post

Attempt 3 to post - the two previous have disappeared!

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to