Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Mellors
(newbie) Fri 30-Aug-13 18:16:43
Print Post

External Dropwire damaged

[link to this post]

Just after a bit of advice. A numpty in the house may, or may not of cut off a BT junction box where the dropwire comes into the house to do some decorating... Cutting the dropwire back so it's flush with the hole in the wall where it enters the house.

Would it be possible to buy some internal wiring(as this is also now too short to be fed through the hole to make a connection outside) and connect it straight to the dropwire so that the connection goes from the dropwire, straight into the new internal wiring that then goes into the NTE5?

I'm thinking of soldering the cables together and then using some heat shrink tubing on the A and B cables and then again over the external cover for both cables to make it watertight as this will be on the outside of the house.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Aug-13 18:22:20
Print Post

Re: External Dropwire damaged

[re: Mellors] [link to this post]

No.

The correct and legal course of action is to call BT and tell them. They will then repair it in the correct manner.

It is illegal to interfere with the wiring before the demarcation point - the master, and there are correct way to do it and cowboy methods.

Dial 151 and report it - that is all you need to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Aug-13 18:40:16
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

And BT very rarely (want to say never but there will be a case where they do I bet) solders, so it would be obvious what has happened.

BT jelly crimps are what they would use to rejoin wires, if able to, otherwise a new drop wire, or cut back and fit an external junction box.

Alas its a report and get fixed and learn the DIY lesson.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User partial
(member) Fri 30-Aug-13 18:56:53
Print Post

I'd be looking at slack at the eaves to try to pull it indoors. You should make sure you leave a drip loop though.

BT use '3M One Step Closure Small' to join dropwires externally.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Aug-13 21:23:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
And BT very rarely (want to say never but there will be a case where they do I bet) solders, so it would be obvious what has happened.

And almost certainly not at the top of a ladder.

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Aug-13 23:16:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

And almost certainly not at the top of a ladder.

Err......... They do it EVERY day, tip soldering the jumpers in exchanges, this very often being done on a ladder.

To the OP,

you have dropped off, learn your lesson and get a proper repair done on it. Any attempted DIY repair will eventually give problems.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 31-Aug-13 23:21:55
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I was meaning on the eaves of a house ...

M H C

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Sep-13 04:59:28
Print Post

Best advice is to get BT out, it wont necessarily be cheap though. You can attempt a fix yourself although it will be obvious and it's illegal. You could try to meet BT spec but quite frankly it's best to do it properly & get them out. Especially as you're unsure what to do.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Sep-13 09:00:52
Print Post

You know, I knew that. But for those less informed .... wink

Print Thread

Jump to