Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User highroaduk
(newbie) Mon 02-Sep-13 09:02:47
Print Post

Huge drop in download speed - Sync remains normal

[link to this post]

Hi all,

On Saturday afternoon my broadband connection started acting strange, dropping in speed from 16.7mbps down to 0.12mbps. I tried a few speed tests and most stopped half way though. Similarly services such as steam, spotify etc. dropped offline every 10 minutes or so.

I checked on the router (a Netgear DGN2200v3) and the sync rate was still registering 16mbps up / 1.2mbps down. After rebooting and resetting the connection this did not change.

I have tested the same router in the test socket behind the master socket elsewhere in the house, along with testing a different router and a different laptop, none of which has made any difference.

Is this problem a normal one? I would have expected my sync to drop down to nothing with speeds like this..
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 02-Sep-13 09:23:36
Print Post

Re: Huge drop in download speed - Sync remains normal

[re: highroaduk] [link to this post]

If the noise margin is still reasonable then it points towards a problem in the network/ISP.

Who is it? Have you checked to see if others have similar speed issues?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User highroaduk
(newbie) Mon 02-Sep-13 09:29:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The ISP is O2, I've had a browse around their sub forum here and the official community forum and it doesn't appear that there's a widespread problem.

I spoke to their support team on Saturday and they confirmed that they sync to my router appeared fine. They were supposedly running a 24 hour line test until Sunday afternoon but I'm yet to hear back from them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 02-Sep-13 10:06:45
Print Post

[re: highroaduk] [link to this post]

Okay there has not been an exact duplicate of your issue, but there has been the odd report of network issues but generally limited to a few sites.

It might simply be that with the move to Sky underway that network maintenance is falling behind and the good staff have jumped ship to better roles elsewhere already.

Did the speeds improve between midnight and the morning?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User highroaduk
(newbie) Mon 02-Sep-13 11:35:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

unfortunately not, I checked the speeds around 2am last night and again at 8am this morning and they have remained the same. I'll be calling support again shortly for an update on the situation and to see if the line check brought back anything.
  Print Thread

Jump to