Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(newbie) Mon 02-Sep-13 19:38:48
Print Post

Using Cat5e cable for Telephone Line

[link to this post]

Hi

I have been fitting my new home out with a cat5e network and I'm about to setup a cupboard in my house as the heart of the network.

I currently use Virgin Media as BB provider and thinking of switching to an ADSL provider as Virgin sucks.

My landline phone connection starts in the porch of my home and I have run at cat5e cable from there to my network cupboard with the plan of using that instead of having cables trapesing along skirting boards and looking a mess.

I have used cat5e before when wiring extension sockets to a BT phone line and it worked fine...

Will it have any issues with transferring ADSL signals and also I'm planning on using it also with new FTTC technolgy when it becomes available in my area!

P.s It is Solid copper core ethernet cable btw.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 02-Sep-13 20:01:24
Print Post

Re: Using Cat5e cable for Telephone Line

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Should be perfectly fine just stick to using pairs correctly

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(newbie) Mon 02-Sep-13 20:03:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok, That was my opinion on it anyway!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 02-Sep-13 20:07:02
Print Post

No problems in doing that but if you are taking the ADSL signal all the way to the switch there is the potential for additional noise which would worsen the SNR. Can you install your modem or hub at the point of entry? That way your data with be Ethernet and less susceptible to noise. You can still take the voice side of the phone line through on another able.

And Solid core is ideal for infrastructure cables that are terminated in IDCs. Multi-strand tends to be use for patch leads and crimp on connectors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Mon 02-Sep-13 20:08:32)

Standard User mlmclaren
(newbie) Mon 02-Sep-13 20:11:03
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yes I thought about that myself, But would mean running electrics too and realistically I'm mainly doing it for the FTTC.

Also my ether length from the incoming BT line will only be around 5-7 meters anyway.

P.s I'm not running the cable from where an existing BT Master Socket used to be, I'm running it from a mini exchange in my porch that serves my 4 neighbors homes.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 02-Sep-13 20:21:47
Print Post

Can you make it point to point and not into a patch panel or switch? Or maybe even run the modem power that from an existing location. I have sorted one out where we extended the power lead to almost 10 meters - with significantly higher gauge cable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User mlmclaren
(newbie) Mon 02-Sep-13 22:17:12
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

If I wanted to do something like that I would just extend my ring main into the porch and add a 13a socket,

But that isn't something I want to do and I also want to keep all my ,my Modems, Router, Switches and Wifi AP's in the one cupboard.

So I'll carry on doing it how I was and just deal with the slight SNR issues as they come.

Also in past experience I have found that removing 8-12 metres of cable from an ADSL installation made barely any difference in connection or speed.

Also temperatures in the porch at different times of the year may affect the performance of the equipment.
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Sun 15-Sep-13 01:15:29
Print Post

I'm running 5e from my drop wire to master socket (around 30meters of wire) with no problem at all.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 15-Sep-13 08:14:44
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
I'm running 5e from my drop wire to master socket (around 30meters of wire) with no problem at all.

My Sky LLU 24.5db @17020/1182
Isn't your speed rather low for 24.5dB?

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User drummerjohn
(member) Sun 15-Sep-13 09:57:03
Print Post

Run the CAT5e from the BT DP (mini exchange) to the where you want the master socket. Get BT to put the master socket on the end.

Done it hundreds of times.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to