Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cmundy
(newbie) Mon 16-Sep-13 14:51:10
Print Post

Issue with line or exchange?

[link to this post]

Hey, i live in scotland, in a somewhat broadband not spot ( only 0.4 megabit down and 0,2 up), any way that is not the issue. My issue comes from pings i receive in online games. Ok, first off ive noticed this problem for well over a year. The issue is that i receive a ping that is around 20-25ms slower than the town that my internet connects to. The distance the line has to travel to this town in only 9miles, which has got me wondering how can there be such as massive difference in such a short distance. The exchange itself only has 70 people connected to it, out of a possible 300 i think. From the town to the same server i receive around 30-35ms ping, however from my house 8 miles away, i get around 55-60ms ping. Ive tried speaking to bt, but they usually end up disconnecting me. Any suggestions on what could be the problem would be great.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Sep-13 14:55:37
Print Post

Re: Issue with line or exchange?

[re: cmundy] [link to this post]

Router stats, attenuation, noise margin and connection speed are a good place to start with looking into this.

If your 9 miles to the exchange is correct, then almost a world record to get a working ADSL signal. If those in the town are on the same exchange as you and the same provider too, and they have lower latency the suggestion is that issue may be line based.

A ping of 55 to 60ms if consistently that level should not cause problems in online FPS type gaming, you just have to learn to lead the action slightly. If you are playing with voice or other activity on the line that may be the issue.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TrimJohn
(newbie) Mon 23-Sep-13 10:35:34
Print Post

Re: Issue with line or exchange? *DELETED*

[re: cmundy] [link to this post]

Post deleted by MrSaffron

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to