Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JMatthewman
(newbie) Tue 01-Oct-13 17:43:23
Print Post

Configuring HG-612 for ADSL with DHCP PassThrough

[link to this post]

I have an unlocked HG-612 that I'm trying to configure for BT ADSL, ideally using DHCP to pass the WAN address to a router running DD-WRT (I can't just use PPPoe passthrough and PPPoe on the router as it's broken in the build for the device).

I have tried a wide variety of configurations from various sources over the internet (so many even I can't remember why I have / haven't tried any more). If I remember correctly I managed to get the internet working with config options that have since been lost, but couldn't get it to pass the WAN address to the router, it simply allocated a LAN address. Ideally I'd rather it was passing the WAN address with all routing functions disabled to allow the router to control DHCP, NAT, QOS etc, without these being needlessly repeated by the modem.

Can anyone provide simple instructions, or screenshots of the relevant config options for this?

Thanks in advance,
Joel
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Oct-13 19:02:48
Print Post

Re: Configuring HG-612 for ADSL with DHCP PassThrough

[re: JMatthewman] [link to this post]

What you're after is typically referred to as PPP Half Bridge, and I'm not sure this is supported on an HG-612 as it's hardly a standard feature.

The router I know that can do this is the ZyXEL P660R-D1 - instructions can be found here. These routers are available for around £30.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 01-Oct-13 19:46:20
Print Post

A quick look in the Help for the BASIC ¦ WAN settings says
Connection mode

It is used to specify whether the WAN connection is in routing mode or in bridge mode. In routing mode, the IP address needs to be set or is set to be obtained automatically for the WAN connection. In bridge mode, the IP address needs to be set or is set to be obtained automatically only on the LAN side.

Connection type

It is the interface encapsulation type managed by the WAN connection. The gateway supports three routing modes: PPPoE, DHCP, and Static and two bridge modes: IP_Bridged and PPP_Bridged.

DHCP transparent transmission

It is used to specify whether to perform the DHCP transparent transmission in bridge mode. If transparent transmission is set, the LAN devices can obtain the addresses of public networks through the bridge. Otherwise, the devices can obtain only the addresses of private networks assigned by the gateway.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JMatthewman
(newbie) Tue 01-Oct-13 21:05:53
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

BatBoy: Have you tried this / got it working? I've seen that in the help but don't think it actually presented me the option, or it didn't work. I'll try again later but unfortunately due to other people using the internet I'm fairly limited in when I can play around with it to try and get it working.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 01-Oct-13 21:17:42
Print Post

No, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
  Print Thread

Jump to