Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Connarhea
(newbie) Thu 24-Oct-13 22:58:49
Print Post

EE Dropping connectivity every 30 seconds to 2 minutes

[link to this post]

Not sure where I should put this, but I thought this may have been the right place.

I live in what is considered a student house and have been here for 3 years. We were with Orange until they merged and became EE.

For the whole 3 years I have been living here there have been problems with connectivity and speeds amongst other things. However whenever anything has needed to be sorted the landlady has to ring up because she set up the account with Orange/EE and I'm just a tenant.

After 6 months of living here we got the new Brightbox router from Orange and it seemed fine at first. Then about a month or so into having it we started getting disconnects every 30 seconds to 2 minutes, this could last for days or even weeks at a time then go as if it had never happened. We have since had 2 Orange Brightbox routers and a "new" EE branded Brightbox router, because when ever the landlady rings up the router being the problem is the conclusion they come down to.

We've been using this "new" EE Brightbox router for about 9 months now and these disconnects keep happening, but now for some reason we also get little micro disconnects. These are literally split second disconnects every couple of minutes that you normally wouldn't notice, but if you are watching youtube, downloading on chrome or uploading to youtube these micro disconnects stop what you are doing and you have to start again from scratch. It's also noticeable when playing online games, either through disconnects from servers or tiny lag spikes.

I'm hoping there is some way of sorting this out without having to contact EE because I have no way of doing that myself and the landlady (although bless her for trying) just goes along with the terrible excuses they give to her.

I have a Windows 7 and Mac OSX 10.6.8 partition and the same problem occurs on both, it can be seen on multiple mobile devices, my xbox and other computers/laptops in the house.

Thank you for reading through this, and thank you for any advice you may be able to give

Connar
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Oct-13 23:08:51
Print Post

Re: EE Dropping connectivity every 30 seconds to 2 minutes

[re: Connarhea] [link to this post]

Has anyone logged into the router to find out the adsl stats? It may be that these are the problem.

Is there a test socket in the house? If things are more stable using that then the issue is extension wiring in the house

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Connarhea
(newbie) Thu 24-Oct-13 23:23:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for your quick reply. What information would you need to see from within the router settings, I can get all that for you smile

We were told to use the test socket a while back whilst they ran test and as far as I know it all was fine (our test socket is directly below our regular socket, not sure if this is the norm, to access it we take the casing off the front of the regular socket)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Oct-13 00:10:35
Print Post

Taking the casing off is normal, if it is fine when using that, then its not the router that is the issue but you telephone wiring.

As for information
Connection Speed
Attenuation
Noise margin
For both download and upload

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Oct-13 00:16:43
Print Post

Login to BrightBox: Advanced Settings / Accept / System / ADSL Status and see such:
Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Fast Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 1163 (Kbps.)
Downstream 20011 (Kbps.)

Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 6.2 dB 2.9 dB
Line Attenuation 13.1 dB 26.0 dB

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.0 dBm 0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction NA NA
Fast Path CRC Error 810 8
Interleaved Path CRC Error NA NA
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR 3103 4
Interleaved Path HEC Error NA NA
Error Seconds 395 6

Statistics
Received Cells 11694778
Transmitted Cells 830357
Also, as a guess, try disabling UPnP.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Connarhea
(newbie) Fri 25-Oct-13 00:51:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

http://gyazo.com/c3357a687275081c0f9ac5762d8ca064

that's a screencap of my settings, I also disabled upnp. Will i now have to port forward a lot of extra stuff when using it in the future?
Standard User Connarhea
(newbie) Fri 25-Oct-13 00:52:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

To be honest there wasn't much of a change from what I saw, things calmed down once we started testing and stayed like that for a few days after we went back to the regular socket

http://gyazo.com/c3357a687275081c0f9ac5762d8ca064 there's a screencap of my settings
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Oct-13 01:10:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Connarhea:
Downstream 11175 (Kbps.)
You're getting a v. low speed. You should be getting over 20 Meg. You see I get that from longer, 26dB attn., line? I would say you were being capped by Orange but your NM is too normally low for that.

Your errors look high. The
Loss of Signal Defect 17
are the discons you are experiencing.

What is the 'Time Connected:' on top Status page?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Connarhea
(newbie) Fri 25-Oct-13 01:42:51
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Time Connected: 01:47:31but that is the longest it has been up all day. It normally calms down at night as you'd expect. The most I get mid day is maybe 12 minutes
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Oct-13 04:10:13
Print Post

Monitor that time connected like a hawk, if it's resetting during the 'micro' disconnects you discuss then it's the line dropping.

It could quite easily just be the router struggling to keep up though especially if there's a lot of you. I know a student house I rent out often has over 20 devices connected to their Sky Hub and there's only 5 of them there. That said the router handles it surprisingly... They have laptops, some have desktop (iMac) and a netbook for instance, phones (some have 2 phones), wireless printers, wireless TVs etc. It all racks up quickly and a lot of home routers aren't designed to cope with it all.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to