Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adp56_uk
(newbie) Mon 04-Nov-13 22:47:20
Print Post

TBB Speed Test graphs all over the place

[link to this post]

Hi,

Could I please have an opinion on these TBB Speed Test graphs? This is a PDF on Dropbox.

Openreach were out on Thursday/Friday last week and replaced several hundred metres of cable between the house and the cabinet. Since then a noise problem on the phone line has gone, and broadband stability has imporved - I'm now seeing a constant downstream sync of 1440 kbps whereas previously it was varying between 120 kbps and just over 1000 kbps.

My question is this - is the choppiness shown in the graphs normal and/or acceptable?

According to PlusNet it is, but I'm not so sure.

Current modem stats are (Down/Up):-

Data rate(Kbps) 1440/448
Noise Margin 7/10
Output power(dBm) 12/17
Attenuation(dB) 64/31

Exchange (CMTAN) is 20CN only, and line length according to the engineer is 7.6 km.

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Andy
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 05-Nov-13 10:47:39
Print Post

Re: TBB Speed Test graphs all over the place

[re: adp56_uk] [link to this post]

You need the full stats including error counts. And preferably taken from either te master with nothing else and no extension wiring connected or from the test socket behind the master - that will eliminate and problems with your wiring and additional noise.

The sync speeds are what is expected for the attenuation which could actually be greater than those listed.

Can you install Router Stats lite and let it run for a day measuring sync speed and SNR.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User adp56_uk
(newbie) Tue 05-Nov-13 11:19:39
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately it seems that Router Stats Lite won't work with the Belkin Surf N300. According to its web site, RSL will only work with routers that generate a popup login box, and not with those that use a web page based login. Unfortunately the Belkin uses a web page based login.

I have tried configuring RSL to use a 'User Defined' router, but I just get flat line graphs - probably because RSL can't log in to the router.

Is there any other way that I can obtain the information that you have mentioned?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 05-Nov-13 12:30:06
Print Post

Not a router I am familiar with. Strange about the login as the 2wire devices have a webpage based login.

Try searching across all pages of teh router GUI and you may find some more stats such a FEC, CRC ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Nov-13 19:19:21
Print Post

The noise may be gone, but there may be still be lots of errors impacting on throughput which is what the graphs are showing.

How is a long sequence of pings from say your PC to www.thinkbroadband.com

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adp56_uk
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 13:22:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

@MHC - I am still trying to find a way to get error reporting out of my router. Will let you know if I find anything.

@MrSaffron - How long a sequence of pings? How far apart?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Nov-13 13:44:25
Print Post

ping -n 1000 www.thinkbroadband.com

so 1000 seconds, 1 second apart, i.e. around 20 minutes and see what the packet loss is like. Wireless is always more variable than Ethernet, but should not have high packet loss.

Then do ping -n 1000 192.168.01
(replace the IP address with the IP address of your router), if the variations are still there and packet loss, you can blame wireless.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adp56_uk
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 16:38:24
Print Post

Thanks for the details.

Results from pinging thinkbroadband.com are here and results of pinging the router are here.

Both tests were done from a PC connected over an extended wireless network. I'll try and get a laptop connected to the router over the next couple of days and repeat the tests.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Nov-13 16:51:53
Print Post

Nothing particularly wrong there, but wireless congestion can often only be an issue when people are actively using the competing networks, so if a wireless network scan shows lots it might be you only get bad performance when they are doing stuff - its do the tests when the speed tests show there is a problem

Standard User adp56_uk
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 17:16:31
Print Post

The speed test graphs always look pretty similar no matter what time of day or night, whether the connection is being used or not, and whether the test is done from a PC over wierless or from a laptop cabled into the router.

PlusNet support have said:-

The broadband speeds will always fluctuate, and third party sites are unlikely to give an accurate result anyway, as traffic through their sites and the route taken by your data packets can be subject to heavy traffic which has nothing to do with your connection itself.

Although I'm sure this is true to a degree, I've never seen this behaviour when doing TBB speed tests on other lines at previous properties. Also, I see similar fluctuations in download tests if I use speedtest.net or mybraodbandspeed.co.uk - you can't all be busy all of the time and all show very similar irregular download characteristics!

What could cause a test download to start off at say 1Mb, gradually drop to 0.2Mb, and then gradually climb again? This is what I'd like to be able to understand so that I can decide on a response to PlusNet.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to