Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User blimsta
(newbie) Sat 21-Dec-13 18:53:38
Print Post

Online gaming, VoIP and connection stability

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have been having problems for a long time now with playing online games mainly first person shooters.

I found my isp to be wasting time as its been 2 years and they have done nothing to solve the problem. I need to prove this problem so I can move away from this isp as its costing me too much and no fun time is killing me.

So I found a skype call to be very bad indeed but only reciving data as the guy at the other end sed my voice was clear, I couldn't say the same thing for his voice.

I found a test site for VoIP and as gaming is just as demanding I thought it's a nice and easy reference point to work from. If the VoIP calls sound bad we have a problem still.

Is this test site good usefull data?

http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php

Its strange how I get perfect speed to speedtest.net here

Edited by blimsta (Sat 21-Dec-13 19:08:51)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Dec-13 19:11:22
Print Post

Re: Connection quality problem

[re: blimsta] [link to this post]

Which ISP is involved? (Aha I see its PlusNet if the Ookla result was correct)

If there was a consistent problem with plusnet gaming and voip/Skype I'd expect online forums to be snowed under.

If you have been with the ISP for 2 years as a consumer you should also be out of contract, and free to move apart from 30 days notice.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blimsta
(newbie) Sat 21-Dec-13 19:37:34
Print Post

Re: Connection quality problem

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The gaming forum is snowed thou.

I'm stuck in a 18 month contract because one of the problem was games using p2p netcode. Thats right torrent style traffic. And the unlimited fibre service offered "un-throttled" p2p traffic.

Used to play at a very competitive level, and as you well know its hard to prove a hit detection type of problem.

Luckly VoIP seems to be playing up too so I guess thats my pass out of here (PN).

Edited by blimsta (Sat 21-Dec-13 19:38:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to