Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rich_jtg
(regular) Fri 31-Jan-14 15:49:50
Print Post

Openreach to perform Pair Quality Test on line without ADSL

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

I'm currently without an internet connection at home - there's no ADSL signal apparent on the line.

After various tests (different routers/filters/cables inserted via the test socket), my ISP has organised Openreach to come out and perform a 'Pair Quality Test' on the line.

Can someone please tell me if this test just checks the physical telephone cable, or will it pick up ADSL faults too?

If the line passes the test, the visit will be chargeable - so I'm concerned that I'm going to get a bill for a test which won't have any chance of detecting the fault.

Also, apparently if the engineer carries out any other work on the BT network, this would be considered an 'enhancement', meaning the visit would still be chargeable. Does this mean I get charged if the fault is say in the local junctionbox/exchange?

Many thanks.

PIpex > Zen > Be > iDNet > Freeola
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Jan-14 16:17:45
Print Post

Re: Openreach to perform Pair Quality Test on line without A

[re: rich_jtg] [link to this post]

If you normally have ADSL on the line then

1. They test at the test socket
2. If nothing then test at cabinet with their test kit
3. If nothing look in the exchange

Only if on (1) they find the signal present but when reconnecting your hardware and wiring would they raise a charge. It is different if you INSIST on a specific test being done, rather than follow the usual slow pattern of fault diagnosis.

If voice calls are clear of noise, then you know both legs of the pair are connected and ADSL will work even with just one of those, so has to be a big issue to get no ADSL at all. More common is someone messing up configuration/wiring in the exchange or a cabinet.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jan-14 16:58:25
Print Post

Resolving ADSL faults always seems hard work frown

As the customer, you shouldn't need to know (unless you want to) what type of tests BT are going to perform. After proving your ADSL isn't working using the TEST socket and alternate router etc. which you've done then the ISP should take whatever steps are necessary to get you back online.

For those without a test socket the problem is even worse!
If you are happy the router isn't syncing in the test socket then you should be fine...

How did you get involved in the type of test to be carried out?

Edited by b4dger (Fri 31-Jan-14 17:13:51)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rich_jtg
(regular) Fri 31-Jan-14 17:45:58
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Thanks for your replies which seem reassuring.

Firstly, sorry, I should have explained that I do normally have ADSL!

The type of test was mentioned by the ISP when the engineer booking was made.

I suspect the fault is at the cabinet as neighbours have had trouble last year when water got in there.

Funnily, the routers I have tried are the ones in b4dger's sig... All show no DSL on the line.

The only other concern I should probably have is the strange looking external wiring that we inherited with the house. It has always looked suspect to me (as in did the previous owner tinker?), but has worked fine for the past couple of years.

Not sure I'm going to cope with this flaky 2G signal until the test on Tuesday!

Thanks again.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jan-14 17:47:45
Print Post

Sounds to me as though your ISP are being cute, and not wishing to pay for an SFI visit. Sounds much more like a CDTA appointment. (conscious design to appoint) This means the line tests OK on remote tests, but the CP is requesting a test carried out anyhow. These are usually the result of noisy, line tests OK, type faults or bell not ringing, that kind of thing.

Although a PQ test might highlight a minor issue on the pair, it would be highly unlikely that this would cause the no sync fault you are attempting to report.

On the other hand, the bit about network enhancement smacks of an SFI visit, in which case the engineer will be testing for sync also. There is no way I'd think it justified for ISP to pass on charges to you for network enhancement. Time to name and shame your ISP I reckon.

Just to make perfectly clear, any charges raised by Openreach will be to the service provider. If the service provider wants to pass some, or all of them, on to you, then that is entirely their doing.

Standard User rich_jtg
(regular) Sat 01-Feb-14 09:54:34
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

OK, so I'm not so reassured now!

To be fair, I don't understand what other option I have.

I either don't have an internet connection ever again, or I get the ISP to call an engineer out.

Either way it's out of my hands.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Feb-14 09:45:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by rich_jtg:
I either don't have an internet connection ever again, or I get the ISP to call an engineer out.
That's the bottom line. ISPs wording is often pretty scary - but eventually you have to bite the bullet.

As I said, if you are happy that there's no sync in the TEST socket then you should be fine.

I see in your signature it says you are with Freeola - I'm with them.
Their rep visits TBB so he may be able to comment on why the engineer callout has been so specific.

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Feb-14 10:16:26
Print Post

I would not worry too much about it. For sometime now open reach charge for pretty much anything and like to have as many outs as possible.
If you have no sync and the engineer comes out and there is no sync, and he has to fix that then there will not be a charge as long as the fault is not caused by you or any internal wiring. A PQT is unlikely to pass if there is no sync anyway.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User rich_jtg
(regular) Sun 02-Feb-14 10:39:03
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Ah, thanks for your replies... they put my mind at rest a little.

As you say, it's a case of see what happens due to the number of variables involved.

Hopefully we will be back in the land of the connected soon! smile

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Feb-14 12:02:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If you normally have ADSL on the line then

1. They test at the test socket

What happens when there is no test socket - ie the old BT junction box?

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to