Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User konrado5
(learned) Thu 06-Feb-14 17:17:59
Print Post

Little interferences caused by doorbell

[link to this post]

I've noticed that always when doorbell rings my router reports 1-2 errored seconds. I suspect it is caused by my installation.
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9820/gcr7.jpg
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4217/xvqe.jpg

This round box on the first photo is related to the doorbel (perhaps POWER). Furthermore, phone and ring cable are crossed. I suspect ring cable is antenna of interferences from mains even if doorbell doesn't ring. For example I've noticed there is often errored seconds when I unplug my Logitech speakers from mains. These speakers are in the other room than router and phone cable.

I'm very curious how many errors I would have if doorbel was at the other place, however moving cables requires pricking up the wall. What else can I do?

Best regards
konrado5
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Feb-14 18:33:45
Print Post

Re: Little interferences caused by doorbell

[re: konrado5] [link to this post]

A few questions http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/media/gcr7.jpg added notes to picture to avoid confusion.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User konrado5
(learned) Thu 06-Feb-14 19:16:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Is that horizontal cable the phone line?

Yes, it is.
What is this wire, which seems to head off into the a connector block with doorbell

It is probably phone line.

What is this box?

This is phone cabinet.
Best regards
konrado5

Edited by konrado5 (Thu 06-Feb-14 19:19:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Thu 06-Feb-14 19:38:07
Print Post

IIn addition to Andrew's questions on the marked-up gcr7.jpg, there appears to be a sunken,circular, electrical conduit box above and between the exposed, 3-way terminal block and Andrew's largest, middle arrow.

There may be a wire from the "far" side of the terminal block, disappearing in to that sunken box, that impression being reinforced by the split dark gap, just to the right of the terminal block.

Where is the bell push-switch; and are there any connections through the wall/s, behind and hidden by any of the boxes?

=================

My first impression is that it is probably all wiring associated with the "bell"; and you need to establish accurately what each part is.

NONE of it looks like proper phone wiring; and the boxes don't "ring a bell" as being typical phone compnents.
Standard User konrado5
(learned) Thu 06-Feb-14 20:21:29
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Thank you for reply. What is terminal block? Sorry, my English is poor.
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Thu 06-Feb-14 20:44:30
Print Post

The three-way, white connector strip, between the left-hand arrow, and the middle arrow, with three, brass blocks, each with two screws; and with two, multi-way wires entering on the near side.

One wire goes straight in from the bottom of the photo.

The other wire comes horizontally from the "What is this box" at the right, turning abruptly upwards diagonally to the white connector strip.

Edited by eckiedoo (Thu 06-Feb-14 20:45:34)

Standard User konrado5
(learned) Thu 06-Feb-14 20:57:52
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
There may be a wire from the "far" side of the terminal block, disappearing in to that sunken box, that impression being reinforced by the split dark gap, just to the right of the terminal block.

Is seems it is a case. The bell push-switch is far from the "far side" of the terminal block. What interferences can be caused by this installation? I have about 50-80 errored seconds on 12 hrs on fast path on SNR margin 3.3-4.0 dB. It seems it is good result but I'm curious how much errors are caused by mains. When the doorbell rings I see only 1 or 2 CRC errors, I don't see any siginificant unstability, SNR margin doesn't change.

Best regards
konrado5

Edited by konrado5 (Thu 06-Feb-14 20:58:58)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Feb-14 22:05:22
Print Post

If that is the phone line going into a connector block like that then there is no reason for it to be doing so and you are more than crossing the bell your are running along side it in a very odd fashion.

In short probably best to modernise and remove that bell which is probably semi mechanical and can create a fair chunk of interference. Replace with some thing like one of the wireless or modern wired ringers that should have less RF side effects

You can see how to use a battery powered AM radio to spot RF interference

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User konrado5
(learned) Thu 06-Feb-14 22:21:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
In short probably best to modernise and remove that bell which is probably semi mechanical and can create a fair chunk of interference. Replace with some thing like one of the wireless or modern wired ringers that should have less RF side effects

Thank you very much for reply. When doorbell rings I have only 1-2 errored seconds? What do you think about it? Is the doorbell cable antenna for other mains interferences? When I turn off light in the other room I have also 1 CRC error. This room is far away from phone cable.

You can see how to use a battery powered AM radio to spot RF interference

I've used it and doorbell is scarcely audible in the radio.

Best regards
konrado5

Edited by konrado5 (Thu 06-Feb-14 22:32:53)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Feb-14 22:31:35
Print Post

It could be, we cannot answer with certainty until we know exactly what everything is, and maybe have done some RF analysis of what noise the various bits of kit are putting out.

If that was my house it looks odd enough to delve deeper, but if you do not know what you are doing, best to get someone in to avoid you doing something nasty e.g. there is no sign that the bell is mains powered but it could be

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to