Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bloke_in_a_Shed
(newbie) Sat 08-Feb-14 15:35:03
Print Post

Suffering with DLM

[link to this post]

I suspect that I might be answering my own question, but I'll post here and invite comments. I have some work going on in the house which involves electric drills, angle-grinders etc. and have suffered a large drop in sync speed as a result. I'm on a Plusnet Essentials service and normal sync is around 7.5Mbs with a profile of approx 8Mbs. SNR is generally about 8dB. Presently, I'm seeing a sync of 3.023Mbs and a profile around 2.6Mbs. Snr is currently 23dB. Because the work is ongoing, I'll never achieve enough connected time to allow the profile to reset automatically. If my understanding of DLM is correct, it requires a clean connection for 3 days to reset the profile. I'm inclined to ask if Plusnet can reset the profile manually and then ensure that the modem is switched off whenever any work is to be carried out in the house. This would mean disconnecting 2 or 3 times each day, but I don't think this should trigger a DLM event. Have I understood the issues correctly, or can anyone provide additional suggestions?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Feb-14 16:06:34
Print Post

Re: Suffering with DLM

[re: Bloke_in_a_Shed] [link to this post]

IP Profile never exceeds Sync. IPP = 88.2% Sync if on WBC.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Feb-14 23:03:12
Print Post

Re: Suffering with DLM

[re: Bloke_in_a_Shed] [link to this post]

If I understand it correctly Plusnet can get the noise margin reset to the BT default of 6dB.

They can't change the BT IP profile all they can do is make sure that their system matches the current BT IP profile.
Sometimes the PN system doesn't change and match the BT IP profile automatically and you will need to contact PN support as they can alter the setting manually (so to speak) to match the new/current BT IP profile.

plusnet user

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to