Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 961a
(newbie) Mon 03-Mar-14 16:41:55
Print Post

Broadband speed estimates

[link to this post]

For quite a few years BT estimates the speed I will get on a broadband connection to my home as 1Mb, estimated range 750kb to 2.5Mb
Plusnet estimates I will get a speed of 1Mb
As it happens our house is on the market and broadband speeds are important to many buyers, which is why Rightmove has now incorporated these figures on its website
The download speed to our property has been stable for over a year at around 5.6Mb
What can we do, and who do we approach to get these estimates set at a reasonable figure?
It's clear all ISPs are scared of providing realistic figures because of current regulations from Ofcom
(If this is the wrong part of the forum, MOD please transfer)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Mar-14 17:24:06
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed estimates

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

RightMove use a Point Topic database for the look ups.

If you email me andrew@thinkbroadband.com I can look at what the Point Topic database says for your postcode, plus Ofcom data.

Maybe an idea in the mean time to get a speed test result mentioned in the text of the listing, or maybe even a picture of a speed test result if RightMove allow that.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 961a
(newbie) Mon 03-Mar-14 19:18:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for that

I've e-mailed recent results from the speed checker direct to your mail box

Post code TD15 1XJ gives 2.46 on the Rightmove site

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Mar-14 20:20:14
Print Post

Try a test on http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and post the results link

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 03-Mar-14 22:45:17
Print Post

FWIW rightmove are giving me 5 Meg and June for high speed. The RFS is May and the current speeds are 11-14 Meg.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Mar-14 23:27:53
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

FWIW: Rightmove are giving Average speed is: 8.86Mbps for my postcode of 15 houses. I'm currently getting 18-20 Meg.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 03-Mar-14 23:52:36
Print Post

I can see a lot of cmplaints about Rightmove and forecast speeds.

My postcode in Greater London covers just 12 properties - and at present they range from 100 metres from the cabinet to 600 metres. On ADSL2+ the speeds ranged from 5 Mbps to 8 Mbps and now with FTTC they are from 80 Mbps down to around 55 Mbps.

Rightmove gives an estimate of 2.28Mbps - way way out!

And as for their claim of "bombarding the connection with pulses of data ... ", what rubbish. They may know a postcode, but can they convert that to a phone number? probably but how can they then convert the phone number to the IP address especially if it is dynamic?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User 961a
(newbie) Tue 04-Mar-14 09:52:20
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Mar-14 10:01:29
Print Post

Okay Point Topic data does say 2.46 Mbps and you do not have Virgin Media as an option

Ofcom data based on line data from various providers is

One or more property gets 2 Meg or less
Average speed 3.6 Mbps
Median Speed 3.1 Mbps
Maximum Speed 6.2 Mbps
Superfast not available

Still someone on two meg or less
Average 4.9 Mbps
Median 5.7 Mbps
Maximum 6.8 Mbps
Postcode has eight properties

So the Point Topic is probably taking a slightly pessimistic view but might improve in the same way the Ofcom data (which Point Topic should have) is showing annual improvements

Standard User 961a
(newbie) Tue 04-Mar-14 10:21:46
Print Post

Thanks for that info which I hadn't seen before. Makes you wonder why BT and Plusnet don't provide a more realistic estimate

I know the guy with 2Mb. The computer is nearly as old as him, the router is out of the ark and the domestic phone wiring and micro filters have clearly seen better days

Think I'll chew Point-topic and see what they say. From posts on here I'm not alone
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to