Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User radiohe4d
(newbie) Tue 04-Mar-14 16:06:13
Print Post

Virgin ADSL - Possibly being capped?

[link to this post]

For about a year my TP-Link TD-W8980 router has been showing a sync speed of 3750kbps, a SNR of 12db and a Line Attenuation of 54db. I live 3.5Km (line length) from the exchange.

Our actually throughput maxed out at 1.20mbps

After a phone line failure and some trouble with the broadband we opened up a fault with Virgin and eventually got a BT engineer out to test our line. While doing his tests i was able to see that he was also getting a sync speed of 3750kbps.

Realising that this was a consistent speed I tested a friends BT Broadband who lives about 1km further down the same line (confirmed by BT engineer) as I do. He was able to get a throughput speed of 2.60mbps!

From this I then used the BT Wholesale test website (www.speedtest.btwholesale.com) to see if there where any problems there. From that I could clearly see that the sync speed was at 3750kbps but the IP Profile that was on our line was 1.25mbps!

For the year previous I had seen this sync speed on my router but was oblivious to it, and we believed that 1.20mbps was all our line could support but after 2 weeks of reading hundreds of documents and information on how exchanges actually function, seeing these test readings from both my router and the BT engineer and being on the phone with the Virgin First Level Fault team I now think that what we are getting is just not acceptable.

So:

Type: ADSLmax
Sync Speed: 3750kbps
SNR: 12db
Line Attenuation: 54db
Line Length: 3.5KM
Phone Line: From exchange to my house upgraded within the year 2013
(Confirmed by BT Engineer)
IP Profile: 1.25mbps

I have had the line reset by Virgin with no positive results. So either Virgin are limiting my connection to the exchange or the exchange is being banded/capped to not allow us to increase our IP Profile and therefore our speed.

Any more help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Mar-14 16:23:53
Print Post

Re: Virgin ADSL - Possibly being capped?

[re: radiohe4d] [link to this post]

Probably the old IPStream Max service where it takes up to five days for the IP Profile to recover from a low value to the current level that is to be expected from the connection speed.

The ISP cannot limit the IP profile, it is either stuck or the modem has connected at that sort of slow speed at some point in the last five days.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User radiohe4d
(newbie) Tue 04-Mar-14 16:36:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, I haven't seen much about IP Profile capping so couldn't be sure.

Would it be possible however for the ISP to Cap the sync speed to the exchange?

From I got the line reset the sync is now maxing out at 2880kbps. (Current Rate: 2528kbps) which to me is very suspicious since the Virgin team where constantly trying to assure me the line range was between 0.70 - 2.50 mbps. I can no longer sync at 3750kbps.

I have purchased a Billion 7800N Modem/Router based on quite a few reviews saying how stable it is and how its improved their low connection speeds.
What change over procedure should i go through to get the best reset at the exchange side?
I was considering leaving the old router off for a day or so then hooking up the new router and waiting about a week to see if the IP Profile increases. Would there be much benefit from this?

Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User radiohe4d
(newbie) Tue 04-Mar-14 16:42:37
Print Post

Just to add to that previous post, when I had my line reset I went through the 5+ day training period that Virgin advised me of. Unfortunately they did not mention that resetting the modem/router would cause the exchange to see it as a sync fault and in turn lower my connection.

I did however (after a lot more reading) leave the modem/router running for 4+ days with no evidence that anything was improving frown
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Mar-14 18:13:13
Print Post

IPStream Max has a 10 day window when it learns a figure that does nothing other than feed back into the checkers.

In short Virgin are making it all up.

Resetting the modem should only cause the DLM to kick in if done more than around 10 times in an hour.

On IP Profile read
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.htm...
and
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.htm...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User radiohe4d
(newbie) Tue 04-Mar-14 19:13:51
Print Post

More helpful information thanks for that.

Is it possible for the sync speed to be capped? Its very odd after a year of 3750kbps going down to 2500kbps after complaining about speeds.

EDIT:
The sync speed has just dropped to 1720kbps and the speed checker at (http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php) is now saying this is a bad connection.
Should the sync speed be continually dropping like this?

Edited by radiohe4d (Tue 04-Mar-14 19:18:31)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Mar-14 21:58:42
Print Post

The target noise margin controls sync speed what are the full set of stats from the modem

Standard User radiohe4d
(newbie) Tue 04-Mar-14 22:49:22
Print Post

The SNR Margin on the downstream is currently (22:49) at 9.5db but 90% of the time this is at 13db.

There has been no change in sync speed since earlier today when it dropped to 1920kbps.

I asked the BT engineer about this and he said we should be fine between 9 to 15db for getting speeds of 3.5mb. We where of course getting a sync speed of 3750kbps at the time.

Edited by radiohe4d (Tue 04-Mar-14 22:52:37)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Mar-14 23:34:46
Print Post

Okay a SNR margin changing between 9dB and 13dB while remaining connected points to a noise problem that may be in the BT network or may be in your home.

Have you tested the exact set of router stats at the test socket (because of the IP profile) speeds will not improve for some days, but the set of figures will be useful and if better suggest it is some extension wiring picking up noise in the home.

Standard User radiohe4d
(newbie) Tue 04-Mar-14 23:47:54
Print Post

We had the BT engineer install a new master socket with the adsl filter built in so the broadband signal is stopped before it reaches any other extensions (which where also tested and found to be ok).

The router is in my hall on a table with nothing else in the hall what so ever. The nearest thing to it or the line would be a TV around 10ft away and behind a brick wall. This also includes central heating, the router is probably furthest away from any pipes or pumps that it could possibly be, in the whole house.

The BT engineer tested the line and looked for tree rub and said he didn't find anything to suggest we would have any problems.

It would be good if there where more tests that could possibly be done to maybe narrow down this problem.

Edited by radiohe4d (Tue 04-Mar-14 23:50:06)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to