Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Moocats
(newbie) Fri 21-Mar-14 17:11:51
Print Post

RE: Connecting ADSL to Exte ntion Socket instead of Master

[link to this post]

Hi,

My BT NTE5A is in an inconvenient place. Well, to be more precise from a ease of access to external wiring, it's in a perfect place but awful place for my Routers although I do wish to keep the phone there so that's fine.

I know I can not simply move the exiting NTE5A socket as that is actually illegal.

I was planning on purchasing an I-Plate seen as they're cheap now and wiring from the master socket, to the new I-Plate which I would place in a more appropriate location for my needs.

This is the socket I was thinking of buying:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-I-Plate-ADSL-For-NTE-5-...

This is the wire I was planning to use to connect from the NTE5A Master to my new I-Plate:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITE-BT-CW1308-2-TWISTED-...

Is this appropriate hardware? Will this idea even work? Also, I can't find an I-Plate in black, do they exist?

I'm not using extension cables due to degradation, will the above hold out or will that too degrade and need replacing in a couple of years? I really want to put something in that's as long lasting as BT's hardware. So stuff that doesn't degrade with use is vital.

Thanks for the help.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Fri 21-Mar-14 17:40:13
Print Post

Re: RE: Connecting ADSL to Exte ntion Socket instead of Mast

[re: Moocats] [link to this post]

An I-plate is used with an NTE5 and is fitted between the back and front plate. You want something like the ADSL-FFP85D or even the RJS-SURFACE if it's just going to be for xDSL.
CW1308 is suitable or solid core CAT 5 .
You will also need a krone tool to make the IDC connections
Standard User Moocats
(newbie) Fri 21-Mar-14 18:30:12
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Hi Ribble thanks for the reply.

I have decided I want to put a second phone in the same location as the routers so what I mount will need to carry both so ADSL-FFP85D (85 mm)

You mentioned a Krone tool; is this to what you refer? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NETWORK-ETHERNET-CABLE-PUN...

Edited by Moocats (Fri 21-Mar-14 18:33:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Fri 21-Mar-14 18:55:24
Print Post

That's the sort of thing. Seems very cheap.
Standard User TheEulerID
(newbie) Fri 21-Mar-14 19:13:07
Print Post

That's fine. I did something virtually identical except that I used cat5e cable. One pair is used for the DSL signal and two others for a phone extension (1 pair for the voice, one from the other pair for the ring line - not essential for most modern phones, but as it's on the filtered voice side it does not introduce interference, so include it for compatibility. The only downside of Cat5e cable is it's bigger in cross-section than phone extension cable.

You can get modular sockets at the extension end which have a BT phone socket and an RJ11 for the DSL.

The same solution works for VDSL too (which I can guarantee as it's exactly what I've done). If you want to future-proof, then this plate is ADSL & VDSL compatible (although if you get VDSL you'll be provided with one).

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPLJ5209.html?s...
Standard User Moocats
(newbie) Wed 02-Apr-14 19:24:11
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Hello again guys.

I'm back now with some updates.

I have purchased the advised product (ADSL-FFP85D)

I didn't want cat5e cable as it's never going to be re-purposed for Ethernet and the cable is too pricey for the needed length and is also too bulky and inflexible for the installation.

I do have a question however;

The ADSL-FFP85D is white and ugly and doesn't match with my decor and as I couldn't really hide it behind furniture I've done something more radical.

I have instead mounted it on the inside of a double sided stud wall. It will be sealed in but I'll modify the wall directly in front of the ADSL-FFP85D to allow access.

What I plan to do then; is install two pretty black nickel sockets one for the RJ11 ADSL (or is it RJ12, I forget) the other for the UK BT phone plug.

I have the phone plate already which is a bonus; so all I need to do is buy the other for the ADSL. I don't really want a double or modular socket; this is actually easier for me as the telephone and modem although close are adequately distant to make one of each more appropriate.

Here is my question / concern though.

As I need to start from the filtered ADSL-FFP85D. Must I splice TWO outgoing wires together to each of the two new extension sockets? Or can I daisy chain one to the other?

NOTE: The ADSL socket, if daisy chained would come before the standard phone socket.

Will that work?

The reason I ask is I already test wired in the phone extension socket's wall-plate to make sure the outputs on the ADSL-FFP85D worked ok and that works for the phone. However; when I connected an external microfilter to the extension socket then the ADSL to that. The internet did not work.

I know I won't need a microfilter beyond the ADSL-FFP85D but it was the only way to physically plug the modem into the standard phone socket.

Am I doing something wrong here? crazy
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Apr-14 19:30:39
Print Post

A bit confused without seeing a diagram, but any telephone extension from the FFP85D will already have had the ADSL filtered out of it, hence why the ADSL does not work.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Moocats
(newbie) Wed 02-Apr-14 20:16:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
A bit confused without seeing a diagram, but any telephone extension from the FFP85D will already have had the ADSL filtered out of it, hence why the ADSL does not work.

Ah thanks. To be fair I didn't quite understand the technology, I thought it separated the signal and carried it forward. Not eliminated it entirely.

There is no way to carry the ADSL signal forward to an extension then?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Apr-14 20:36:53
Print Post

See http://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/ffp85d-manu... and the note about sending an unfiltered, but you would need to ensure no phones plugged in on this extension unless via a micro filter, and seems to me to negate the point of the faceplate if going to tie yourself into micro filters still

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Moocats
(newbie) Thu 03-Apr-14 14:03:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks mate.

I understand it much more clearly now.
  Print Thread

Jump to