Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User reddallp
(newbie) Fri 28-Mar-14 21:57:33
Print Post

ADSL2+ Slow Sync with Thomson St585v6/ST780

[link to this post]

I have ADSL2+ (BT 21CN) and am close to the exchange Line Atten 20/12 S/N 6/6.
When I connect either my Fritz!box 7390 or 7270 or Technicolor TG582N The Sync is 16.5/1.050. However if I connect either Thomson ST780 or ST585 v6 the line syncs at only 2 - 2.5 mbps download and correspondingly low upload speed. The Thomson routers show ADSL G992.5 which I believe is ADSL2+ they also have the latest UK firmware 6.2.29.3.

I found that if I use the CLI Command to force the ST780 into ADSL2 mode instead of ADSL2+ it syncs at 10.5.

Question is does anyone know why these routers don't work properly in ADSL2+ mode.

Incidentally I tested the same ST780 on my line back in December and it synced at 16.5mbps. Same story at my neighbours with the same router - used to sync at 16.5mbps now 2-3mbps unless forced into ADS2 mode.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Mar-14 22:26:33
Print Post

Re: ADSL2+ Slow Sync with Thomson St585v6/ST780

[re: reddallp] [link to this post]

Have you looked for later firmware versions?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Fri 28-Mar-14 23:00:17
Print Post

[re: reddallp] [link to this post]

Why on earth would you want to use very ancient routers? Granted, Speedtouch ST series were very good ~10 years ago but modern routers are using far superior chipsets.

Also, you should be getting a sync of ~ 20 meg on a 20 db line. My line is longer than yours (29db atten) yet i'm getting 17.5 meg on a 6db SNR.

--------------------------------
TalkTalkBusiness LLU 17 meg

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User reddallp
(newbie) Sat 29-Mar-14 06:53:58
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks for responses.
With regard to Firmware - as stated there is no later firmware available.
With regard to more modern routers the ST780 has unique appeal as it is favoured for VoIP use at low cost - I only use it as a backup to my Fritz!Box but I am keen to find out why it doesn't work correctly with ADSL2+. It seems that the problem is not unique to my setup as I found this post at Whirlpool:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1...
Standard User reddallp
(newbie) Sat 29-Mar-14 06:55:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It has the latest firmware - there is no newer FW. I also tried older FW's - same probllem.
  Print Thread

Jump to