Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User maxima120
(learned) Wed 09-Apr-14 16:49:08
Print Post

No tone in the phone using BT ADSL splitter

[link to this post]

I have a landline which I ordered BT Infinity on.. The installation date is 2 days away but I received the BT Home Hub 5 device already.

I connected it to the landline main socket (where the phone was connected). I connected the phone to the same socket using ADSL splitter which came with the Hub. But there is no dial tone (if you pick up the handset you can hear some background - so it is not dead but there is no tone at all).. I tried another phone (which is very simple passive device without any electronic features - which I use for years to test the phone to make sure this is not the phone failing) and it has no tone either...

Is it something I must expect given that the internet service isnt on yet?

Will the phone work with the splitter once the Infinity is switched on or should I call BT for support?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Apr-14 18:00:40
Print Post

Re: No tone in the phone using BT ADSL splitter

[re: maxima120] [link to this post]

If phone works in a socket without a microfilter plugged in (and any ADSL hardware unplugged) and then the phone does not work when plugged into the phone socket of a microfilter (with home hub unplugged) then you have a broken microfilter.

Existing ADSL filters should suffice for testing whether its a wiring or filter issue.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User maxima120
(learned) Wed 09-Apr-14 20:50:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

you were right in a sense smile that was the splitter issue.. however it wasnt broken. I (how stupid) connected the ADSL cable into red socket on the BT Hub and that somehow kills the phone through the splitter... Once I moved the cable to the gray socket (where it supposed to be) the phone started to work OK smile))

but it was you who prompted me to fiddle with the cables/splitters trying different things when I stambled upon the solution smile

cheers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Apr-14 18:18:22
Print Post

[re: maxima120] [link to this post]

Yep, that'll put a loop on the line, hence no dial tone. Well done for figuring it out ! smile

Print Thread

Jump to