Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Kiko4564
(newbie) Tue 15-Apr-14 01:09:21
Print Post

Dial tone

[link to this post]

Hi, just checking that my router; if faulty will not cause a loss of dial tone. My ISP TalkTalk have insisted that it be replaced for diagnostic purposes. Also one of their engineers did that previously insisting it was faulty due to the symptoms of dropping sync/dial tone/noise on the line

Isp chain: Onetel dialup --> Tiscali broadband --> TalkTalk broadband (due to buyout).
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 15-Apr-14 09:14:17
Print Post

Re: Dial tone

[re: Kiko4564] [link to this post]

A faulty Router will not cause any line issues, however a faulty hub or modem could. I assume that is what you are referring to.

If the device puts a very low impedance or short circuit across the incoming connection then yes it will cause loss of audible dial tone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Apr-14 10:40:11
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The way to test is to unplug all the broadband hardware from the phone line line and remove their power too.

If the phone line is still dead with a handset that is known to work, then fairly simple phone fault.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kiko4564
(newbie) Wed 16-Apr-14 00:18:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Not so clear cut maybe as it's an intermittent fault. Good News is that during an outage I managed to put a working phone in the test socket with a light. Result was when I lifted the receiver I heard nothing and the light remains dark so I then plugged the microfilter back in. Or did so refit the faceplate, don't remember. Please advise? The Qube engineer was so confident he didn't pose the question but I dont remember doing this before his arrival

Isp chain: Onetel dialup --> Tiscali broadband --> TalkTalk broadband (due to buyout).
Standard User Kiko4564
(newbie) Wed 16-Apr-14 00:19:17
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yes. What about intermittently

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 16-Apr-14 00:34:05
Print Post

It will depend on what is causing the fault. If for example a component is failing due to heat, it will warm up, fail, that causes a condition to be removed, resulting in te component cooling and the failure disappearing ...

You need to start with a known working phone, plug that in and nothing else, leave it alone for a whole and see what happens. Then plug in te hub, wait and see the results ... and so on until you find the device or combination that is causing the problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Wed 16-Apr-14 07:16:29
Print Post

What is happening on your Broadband, when the Dial Tone is missing?

Does your BB "disappear" or does it continue to work slowly or does it work absolutely normally?

What type of BB have you got?

---------------------------------------------

To the other contributors, I am thinking of the recent case where it turned out to be a loose connection in the PCP, losing the basic phone facilities, whilst the BB continued to work slowly.
Standard User Kiko4564
(newbie) Thu 17-Apr-14 00:37:46
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Loses sync. ADSL2+ by default although I've tried ADSL2 and experienced dropouts, none whatsoever on G.DMT aka ADSL1 though! Not even on the phone line!

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Thu 17-Apr-14 07:11:16
Print Post

That suggests that it is more likely to be a Line Problem; and should be reported to your PHONE Provider as a PHONE Fault (even if you don't make land-line calls), avoiding mentioning Broadband.

Mr Saffron's post, Tue 15-Apr-14 10:40:11, also points to that likelihood.

You should also try phoning from a mobile to your Land Line, when next the problem occurs. suspect that you will not get connected properly, if at all.

Keep in mind that connections in PCPs and similar junction/jointing locations can all too readily be disturbed when OR are working on other lines. And out in the open, not in comfortable offices etc.

So all too easy to disturb other connections.

If you have never done so, try taking a look in the next PCP that you see opened for work, well worth doing to comprehend the arrangements and the conditions that the OR Outside staff have to work in, to maintain our Phone Services.

Also, if your line is particularly exposed, such as being strung overhead near trees etc, rubbing and such-like can cause intermittent problems and eventually breaks.
  Print Thread

Jump to