Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Flint
(member) Sun 11-May-14 10:32:43
Print Post

Connected but no internet access

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have searched for a solution to this but my problem seems to be a little different. I had standard Plusnet broadband and never had a problem. I recently had Fibre installed and of course that is different hardware. I connect with a LAN to my main pc and get really good speeds. The trouble is with wireless connections; good signal and phones and laptops report connected to the router but I still get "no internet access". Just occasionally I do but at the moment nothing. Very frustrating!!

I have tried rebooting the router and laptops and phones but no better. Any clues anyone? Could it be a fault with the router??
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-May-14 11:10:33
Print Post

Re: Connected but no internet access

[re: Flint] [link to this post]

Which router?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Flint
(member) Sun 11-May-14 11:48:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

It's the the one Plusnet supplied with the new fiber package: Plusnet Technicolor, model; TG582n

I was previously using a Netgear router but I'm told it's not compatible with the current fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-May-14 13:55:05
Print Post

Okay the 582 tends to have a not brilliant reputation for its wireless.

Try changing the channel used by the router and possibly switching from WPA encryption to WEP as an experiment.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Flint
(member) Sun 11-May-14 18:47:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I changed the channel to 6, right in the middle of two other groups being seen locally. I used an app on my phone that displays wifi signals. I think it helped because for an hour or so my phone could get internet. But it's gone off again now but I have no idea why.

I'm going out tomorrow to get another router. I'm thinking of the Asus RT-N56U or more probably the Asus RT-N66U

Hopefully that will sort it but in any case I'm sure the range will be better for my home office outside of the house.
Standard User Flint
(member) Fri 16-May-14 20:48:48
Print Post

Update: I tried for ages to get reliable connection with my existing setup but after buying and installing my new ASUS RT-N66U all the issues have disappeared. No problems with any of our phones, laptops or ipad. smile

I conclude therefore that the Plusnet provisioned router was rubbish!

Many thanks to all that read of and contributed to resolving my problem.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 16-May-14 23:17:35
Print Post

I had a Buffalo cheapo for a year starting with IDNet FTTC. Then migrated in to Plusnet and stayed with the Buffalo until it died.

Tried the Plusnet 582n for a while but got fed up with the wireless. Bought the same as you and have been really pleased. iPad and Galaxy SIII on the 5GHz with laptop on the 2.4.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to