Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nellisere
(newbie) Thu 05-Jun-14 17:03:19
Print Post

Broadband drops out when landline in use.

[link to this post]

Recently, our SR101 has been losing sync when the phone is in use. I've monitored this and when the phone rings, the upstream noise margin goes to 100.100dB, then down to 0.0dB then to 5.5dB then cuts out. I've called Sky and they sent me some replacement microfilters and a replacement ADSL cable but they haven't worked. We have one extension. The SR101 plugs into the master socket via a microfilter, and the home phone is on an extension also via a microfilter. Haven't been able to try the test socket yet because it'd mean moving the phone around and it's too much hassle. This has only been happening in the past few weeks and none of the wiring has changed. Our fibre cabinet is currently being built, work started yesterday and I can see the ducts and the earthing cable (I assume, green and yellow, two cables?) but I don't think it's that as it's been happening before any work had started.

Download Attenuation SNR

16300Kbps 27.5dB 3.5dB
1205Kbps 15.1dB 4.4dB

Edited by nellisere (Thu 05-Jun-14 17:05:38)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jun-14 17:15:12
Print Post

Re: Broadband drops out when landline in use.

[re: nellisere] [link to this post]

You really need to make your tests from the test jack of the NTE, just to rule out all internal wiring.

It does however, sound very much like the onset of an HR (high resistance) fault on your line. When you use the phone (hopefully corded) do you get a pronounced 'hiss' in the background ?This hiss, if present, may week go if you unplug the router from the filter whilst still listening.

If the above sounds accurate, it's time to badger Sky to raise an SFI task, it might also be worth them running a CIDT test which may well identify the fault, and then they can get Openreach to look at it.

Standard User nellisere
(newbie) Thu 05-Jun-14 17:37:07
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

It's a cordless phone we use. From what I can tell it doesn't happen everytime the phone is in use, only certain times of the day. Today it happened at around 4:50pm which from what I can tell, it tends to happen between 4:45pm and 5:45pm. I'll try the test socket when everyone is next out of the house.

Download Attenuation SNR

16300Kbps 27.5dB 3.5dB
1205Kbps 15.1dB 4.4dB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lexden16
(member) Thu 05-Jun-14 17:55:57
Print Post

[re: nellisere] [link to this post]

May be a HR fault. Double filtering the phone line is a solution that has worked for me in the past.
  Print Thread

Jump to