Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nitrogenix
(newbie) Tue 10-Jun-14 15:28:24
Print Post

Connection drops several times during the day

[link to this post]

Hi,

For several weeks now my BT Broadband connection has been dropping most evenings and sometimes during the day as well. Most of the time I am still connected locally, but I can't open any webpages and the web browser just hangs there saying "Connecting..." for several hours. It is dead slow and even when I try to connect to BT WiFi the same problem occurs. When the connection drops, all 3 lights on the BT Hub are lighted up blue. I connected my laptop to the BT Hub with the Ethernet wire and the same problem was still happening.

I talked to BT and they first they told me that by BT Hub was faulty so they sent me a new one but that didn't help. Next, they told me that they will do some tests and fix the line from their end. After this the connection was fine for about a week and then all of a sudden the orange light on my BT Hub was showing and I couldn't connect at all to my broadband, but this time round I was able to connect to BT WiFi.

They then "fixed" it again and I went back to having the problem that I first described.

They then told me to remove the telephones from all the sockets apart from the master socket which I did and I also changed the filters at the same time, and changed the telephone at the master socket as well. After this, my connection still drops several times a day, but it starts working after a few minutes

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I feel that BT would say its an internal problem even though it could not be, but I've never had a problem with my connection like this so I find it strange it would be from my end. Even though the connection is much better now, it still shouldn't be dropping and reconnecting several times a day.

FYI, my master socket is a Non-NTE5 and also, the connection is fine when using the phone.

Many thanks for your help.

Edited by nitrogenix (Tue 10-Jun-14 15:53:28)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 11-Jun-14 10:44:52
Print Post

Re: Connection drops several times during the day

[re: nitrogenix] [link to this post]

Have you disconnected all internal extension wiring from the master? If not, do that first. Then, plug in a single filter and the modem/hub with NO phones anywhere. Wait and see what happens. If it drops out then the fault is almost certainly on the BT side. You could also try it with everything else in the house turned off - fridge, freezer (they will last a couple of hours) heating/hot water &c. You then need to consider getting a visit from BT - you will be warned of potential costs but if there is only BT wiring and equipment then they should not be able to charge.

No drop-outs will suggest the fault is on your side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-Jun-14 11:54:10
Print Post

Re: Connection drops several times during the day

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Will (preferably) get an IDC/Krone tool first, to reconnect the extensions afterwards if it is a remote fault with no engineer visit to the premises.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 11-Jun-14 11:55:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to