Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User youngsyp
(regular) Fri 27-Jun-14 13:06:48
Print Post

OpenReach and master socket/ drop line wiring

[link to this post]

Hi,

I thought this would be the most appropriate forum to post this but if it isn't, please could a mod move it to a more suitable one?

So theoretically speaking... Say I bought a house off plan and when it was going up, I requested that as part of my wiring plans, a cat5e cable be run from where the OR drop line came into the house to the loft where a master socket would be fitted. I expect the connection outside the house would be fairly obvious once the cover of the 'junction box' is removed due to soldered connections and heat shrink...
And moving forwards a number of years - I had the opportunity to go to FTTC and intended to go with PlusNet due to the feedback I've read. At present, PlusNet place an engineer on site as part of the install. Not that they'd need to do anything as I'd have purchased a OR MK2 vDSL iPlate and a Huawei HG612 modem. Would I expect an awkward conversation with said engineer? Or should I just go with an ISP that offer a wires only install?

I think you'll notice from my wording that I'm fully aware of the service agreement rules around the master socket and demarcation points for phone/ xDSL cabling. I'm just trying to understand what I should expect in the 'real world'.

Paul

ISP: Coms.... Soon to be Xilo
Service: Coms Complete DSL100
Exchange: SMYG
MSAN: Broadcom
Router: Billion BiPac 7800N
Attenuation:38.5dB - 40dB
SNRM: 3.4dB (manually set)
Current sync: 9786kbps

Edited by youngsyp (Fri 27-Jun-14 13:08:21)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Jun-14 13:13:10
Print Post

Re: OpenReach and master socket/ drop line wiring

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

Probably see the VDSL2 faceplate and be happy enough

Only time it might get dicey is if you have a High Resistance fault and Openreach claim it is in the segment of wiring you do did.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User youngsyp
(regular) Fri 27-Jun-14 13:24:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'd hope your first point is true and would bank on the second being true also. The latter could be mitigated though.

Another point that concerns me would be their access to the master socket. If they had to physically get in the loft to see it for example. Although, with older installs in mind, where the line is fed by a pole, I suspect they might have to faff around in loft spaces anyway...

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Jun-14 13:27:53
Print Post

If boarded then no issues, otherwise most will take your word for it I guess. Its one of those until it happens you won't know. Loft entry here, but loft is also the office so not an issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User youngsyp
(regular) Fri 27-Jun-14 13:33:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, that's exactly it and I'd hoped a forum member had first hand experience with a similar situation. Of course, even if they did, it's unlikely to be the same engineer so again, we'll never know.

I'm not worried about issues with the line my end but again, there will be other people involved. There'is always a fall back of the traditionally fitted master socket in the lounge so again, any risk to me would be minimal.

Paul

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Jun-14 15:36:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by youngsyp:
I'm not worried about issues with the line my end but again, there will be other people involved. There'is always a fall back of the traditionally fitted master socket in the lounge so again, any risk to me would be minimal.
You appear to be saying you have two master sockets. If so, am I right in thinking both are wired via the same junction box to the incoming cable? In other words, they are star-wired to the incoming?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 27-Jun-14 15:38:31)

Standard User youngsyp
(member) Fri 27-Jun-14 16:04:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I technically have 2 master sockets although, only one is physically connected to the drop wire, for obvious reasons. Of course, there's X amount of faff involved in moving over to the original master socket, which I'd rather not do if possible mainly due to having to disturb perfectly good wiring again.
The main reason for the approach taken was that I wanted a central area for broadband, networking and servers. Where the original master socket is located, would not have facilitated this.

Paul

Edited by youngsyp (Fri 27-Jun-14 16:07:45)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Jun-14 16:42:01
Print Post

That's OK then smile. A star-wiring would be a very bad thing for FTTC, even with one master.

As others have said/implied, most OR engineers will probably be happy as long as they can access it. They are supposed to connect the modem and test it. I assume you have spare power sockets as well?

Are you intending to have the router up there as well as the modem? (The router is not the engineer's problem unless it's a Managed install. I think you said Plusnet, which isn't).

Get the "new" modem as a spare!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 27-Jun-14 16:43:01)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Jun-14 16:43:12
Print Post

In the long term would the loft be the most convenient place for the NTE5 master socket?
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Fri 27-Jun-14 17:29:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Didn't have a spare socket up there but, I'm re-wiring and putting all the xDSL kit/ network switching/ master socket on a board so it's all nice and neat and will add a 6 way socket configuration to cater for everything.

Yes router (Billion 7800N) is up there currently and will be staying up there. Does a great job of providing full wireless coverage in the house. Another reason why it's there actually.

I guess another modem won't hurt. I have an ECI and Huawei already. Obsessed much...

Paul

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to