Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrsdubs
(newbie) Mon 07-Jul-14 20:53:05
Print Post

NTE5 faceplate Replacement help

[link to this post]

So for months my Internet and phone have only worked via the test socket on the master NTE5, it's been bugging me recently so I've been looking into how to resolve this issue .

I've decided to see if changing the faceplate will help and have ordered an adsl filtered faceplate after reading how simple they are to install (only 2 wires apparently) however my current wiring seems different to all the photos I've seen online, mine has 6 places for wires and all my wires appear to be doubled up??

In addition to the master socket I have several other sockets dotted around the house, is this the reason for the extra wires?

Really need some help with what wires to put where

I will try and include a photo, as you will see the current faceplate looks a mess, all others I've seen look simple and tidy (and a lot less dusty!)

[IMG]http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af15/MrsDubs/Scre...[/IMG]

FYI I haven't received the new faceplate yet, just trying to make sure I know what I'm doing in advance
this is the one I've ordered

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0030BC2PW/ref=redir...

Edited by mrsdubs (Mon 07-Jul-14 21:01:40)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Jul-14 21:09:49
Print Post

Re: NTE5 faceplate Replacement help

[re: mrsdubs] [link to this post]

There is two extensions running off the faceplate in the photo and presence of the wire in pin 3 is probably cause of problems

When fitting new face plate noote wires plugged into pins 2 & 5 and make sure they are connected with new faceplate.

If you get an openreach vdsl2 faceplate then no wiring changes needed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mrsdubs
(newbie) Mon 07-Jul-14 21:17:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So I only need to reconnect whatever is connected to numbers 2 & 5, will this also reconnect my extentions? What are the other wires then? I know one is the bell wire which is not needed but what are the others? I assumed they were my extentions....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Jul-14 22:00:47
Print Post

My concern is what happened to make it stop working, if it worked before. What was changed? Phone, Sky box, plasma TV, or ...?

In a way I agree with MrSaffron, but I'm not convinced that it will make any difference. Because of what I just said.

It would certainly be simpler to obtain an Openreach Mk 2 interstitial (VDSL) filter, as that simply fits between the faceplate and the read assembly. No need to touch the wires, though I would disconnect T3 anyway.

To fit the filtered faceplate you have ordered involves properly inserting the wires of terminals 2 and 5 into the new one, and no others. Other than T3, the ring wire, they have just been inserted for tidiness.

To fit the wires to the new faceplate terminals your need an IDC/Krone tool, available also from B & Q, Maplin, and similar. Note do not get one with a wire stripper, as to insert into the IDC terminals the whole point is that you do not strip the insulation off. The jaws of the terminal cut through it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User mrsdubs
(newbie) Mon 07-Jul-14 22:08:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Awesome explanation, thank you!

I'm not sure to be honest, we had a lot of trouble with our Internet a while ago, BT were no help other than telling us to use the master socket without the faceplate, that worked so that's all they cared about, the other extentions worked at the time.

We've had it set up with the faceplate off for months and recently tried putting it back in place but it doesn't work and none of the extentions work.

I'm not convinced changing the faceplate will solve the problem but it's the cheapest option on my process of elimination list smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Jul-14 23:02:00
Print Post

The others do nothing, they are just spares that people often connect to keep things looking neat.

You hinted that there are some extensions still working when the faceplate is off, if that is the case then you have some other wiring that may be causing issues still.

As for the changes, could be anything from a failing LED driver in a light bulb to a neighbour with a treadmill addiction.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Jul-14 23:04:43
Print Post

The extensions won't work while the faceplate is off. Your were right about the wires being for the extensions, but only T2, T3 (the unnecessary ring wire) and T5 do anything.

As you have two wires in each of T2 and T5, two extensions are directly supplied. Any others must be daisy-chained off one or both of those.

From what you say now the faceplate itself could be faulty somehow, but I'm no expert on that. So your best course of action seems to be as you planned. Just get one of those tools smile.

Don't bother with T3, that does cause problems. T1, T3, T4 and T6 just coil up as neatly as you can in the space, but don't tuck behind the test socket. You could shorten them a bit, for convenience, but I would leave enough so they could be used if the ones in T2 and T5 get damaged. It depends how much slack there is in the cable.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Jul-14 23:31:55
Print Post

Looks to me like the blue/white wire and the green/white wire are OK in terminal 2 and the white/blue wire and the white/green are OK in terminal 5. These 2 pairs I guess feed two (?) extension sockets. I would remove all the other wires from the terminals 1, 3, 4 and 6, fold them back out of the way, replace the faceplate and check if the front socket (without the router and dangle filter) and the two (?) extension sockets now work - you should be able to hear a dial tone.

If the front socket and extension sockets do work remove the phone(s) from them, plug in a dangle filter, a phone and the router to the master faceplate and check that the broadband is syncing at an optimal bit rate.

If all is well then you can use dangle filters on the two (?) extension sockets if you use phones on them, use the ordered filtered faceplate using the same terminals for the 2 pairs as on the current faceplate or simply use a Mk 2 interstitial plate with the current unfiltered faceplate.

If a filtered faceplate or Mk 2 interstitial faceplate is used then dangle filters will not be required on any of the phone sockets.
  Print Thread

Jump to