Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User plastics77
(newbie) Fri 11-Jul-14 16:38:18
Print Post

Frustrated! Extremely low download speed since activation

[link to this post]

Hi All
Wonder if some experts could shed any light on what the problem might be.
Just moved into a property (upper floor maisonette), put in a broadband order with ISP nearly a month ago. First I was told I needed an engineer visit booked 2 weeks later; I called to confirm the day before the visit and then I was told actually no engineer needed to visit , that the BT line socket at the flat was already 'live'. So wasted time. Anyway the router arrived and 5 days afterwards was the activation date (Monday just gone). Initially it didn't connect at all, they said it might be the router, so had to wait for another router to be sent - it transpired that I was not supposed to use the microfilter on the BT openreach dual socket boxes, because the microfilter is already inbuilt. Again more time wasted.

Since connection, my speed has not been greater than 0.25mbps (max speed possible I was advised was approx 7Mbps). I called their support team - first they said there was some kind of 'limiter' on the line that had to be remotely lifted and would take at least 4 hours to function after that - the speed went further down to 0.15mbps. Virtually unusable. The ping rates are completely normal and there are no dropped connections. I called again, and this time they said they weren't sure, but they would try some 'interleaving' which could take at least a further 24 hours to have an effect and upto 5 days. The speed has now dropped to below <0.1mbps.

I have lost confidence in their technical support team and have now been without broadband for a month. I am worried that they are continuing on this course of trial and error and may take a very long time to get to the bottom of it.

Questions:
- what do the technical experts think may be the problem here?
- do they simply need to get an engineer out to diagnose and sort the problem?
- is this an ISP issue, or even if I decide to go with a different ISP now, I could have the same problem?

Thanks in advance!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Jul-14 17:43:35
Print Post

Re: Frustrated! Extremely low download speed since activatio

[re: plastics77] [link to this post]

Does the telephone work?

Does this dual socket Openreach box have two sockets next to each other, or is the broadband one above the telephone one?

It might help if we knew which ISP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Jul-14 18:24:16
Print Post

Can you get the router line stats and post them for us to mull over > http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

(Edit > Just re read the post regarding the type of master socket, not an NTE5 tongue)

plusnet user

Edited by Apprentice (Fri 11-Jul-14 18:28:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Jul-14 19:02:56
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

?
It almost certainly is an NTE5. There may even be an NTE5A, (i.e.with a VDSL interstitial filter), but probably a simple OR filtered faceplate.

That's why I'm asking for the socket layout smile. Then we know how to tell him to get to the test socket.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 11-Jul-14 19:03:26)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Jul-14 19:27:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yep I thought it was an NTE5 but the OP's wording of two sockets with an inbuilt micro filter confused me on the second reading, easily done on an early Friday evening before having some malt ooo

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-...

plusnet user
Standard User plastics77
(newbie) Fri 11-Jul-14 21:48:57
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies...

Yes it is an openreach BT dual socket (ADSL v10) with two ports side by side, one for the router on the left and the phone socket on the right...phone line working completely fine

Isp is plusnet

I went to get stats:

Uptime: 0 days, 2:31:55

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 288

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 23.11 / 69.54

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.4 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.3 / 38.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.9 / 44.6

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 35 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 4 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 43 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Standard User plastics77
(newbie) Fri 11-Jul-14 21:51:40
Print Post

Also, as per request of technical support, I also took the faceplate off to plug directly into the master socket via a microfilter, but this didnt make any difference either....
Standard User troublegum
(newbie) Fri 11-Jul-14 22:42:36
Print Post

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.9 / 44.6

This is the problem. It should not be this high, and would normally only be this high after DLM intervention following a period of instability.

Ask them to reset the SNR margin.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Jul-14 23:00:05
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

It's been banded to 288kbps.The high margin is a result of that.

Standard User plastics77
(newbie) Fri 11-Jul-14 23:09:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the responses

They said they had lifted this banding remotely on Wednesday and said it would take at least 4 hours to take effect....and then no change, so phoned again on Thursday, saying they had lifted the banding, reset the line and still no improvement, so they would try interleaving, whatever that is....
Anyway, is this something that can be sorted remotely or does an engineer need to come out....
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to