Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mattressback
(learned) Tue 15-Jul-14 11:11:45
Print Post

BT Homehub 4 slow dload speed on pc, fine on mobile

[link to this post]

hi, well ive been with btbroadband for about a year now and always used an old belkin router however it had been requiring reboots almost daily because of seeminly internet outages so i finally decided to plug in the supplied bt home hub 4.

i must admit webpages seem to load a lot quicker than they did on the belkin but i have this weird speed issue on my pc.

running a speedtest on my pc sees the dload limit max out at 5mb, this is either over wifi with bts own dual band 600 dongle or wired via homeplugs

however, when i stand near the router and run a speedtest on my nexus 5 the dload speed hits approx 16mb and this is the speeds my old belkin router used to achieve on the pc

can anyone explain why this is and if i can do anything about it because if im dloading something on my pc my web browser becomes unusable as the dload hogs all the bandwidth

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14054...
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Jul-14 11:16:29
Print Post

Re: BT Homehub 4 slow dload speed on pc, fine on mobile

[re: mattressback] [link to this post]

Have you tried running the speedtest using different browsers on the PC to see if you get the same results/issues?

(learned) Tue 15-Jul-14 11:53:57
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

yeah its the same on chrome, explorer and firefox

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Tue 15-Jul-14 12:41:21
Print Post

Are you using a WiFi extender?
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Jul-14 12:56:42
Print Post

Can you try directly via an ethernet cable rather than using your current wifi/homeplugs?

If you have access to another PC have you given that a try to see if it's the connection setup or your computer?

(learned) Tue 15-Jul-14 13:28:52
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

No not using a wifi extender and no it's not really possible to try it directly into router

I have an ipad and that also hits 15 to 16mbs on speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 15-Jul-14 13:49:49
Print Post

I have an ASUS RT-N66U and bought an ASUS "n" dongle to go with it for my ASUS laptop, which has a 150Mbps inbuilt card. The stated link speed of the dongle was great, a solid 300Mbps, but the throughput utter rubbish compared to the standard card at 72Mbps connection. In particular, the speed during speed tests was wildly erratic, and simple browsing a nightmare.

My iPad and SIII mobile are fine on the 5GHz band but the dongle is back in its box.

I suspect you have a similar issue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(learned) Tue 15-Jul-14 14:56:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Done another test, I did a speedtest while connect via cyber ghost VPN and got speeds of over 20mbs through the homehub so what does that mean? That BT is throttling it somehow? But then my mobile devices reach good speeds so totally confused.

I've plugged my belkin back in now and straight away hit 18mbs so there's definitely an issue with the homehub and my pc
(learned) Tue 15-Jul-14 14:57:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I have an ASUS RT-N66U and bought an ASUS "n" dongle to go with it for my ASUS laptop, which has a 150Mbps inbuilt card. The stated link speed of the dongle was great, a solid 300Mbps, but the throughput utter rubbish compared to the standard card at 72Mbps connection. In particular, the speed during speed tests was wildly erratic, and simple browsing a nightmare.

My iPad and SIII mobile are fine on the 5GHz band but the dongle is back in its box.

I suspect you have a similar issue.

I'm having speed issues with the dongle and with a "wired" homeplug connection though
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Jul-14 21:22:59
Print Post

The home plugs don't actually constitute a 'wired' test IMHO. The only way to to do this is via a direct ethernet link between the PC and the router.

What stats is the hub showing, that way we can see what speeds you should be getting.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to