Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Aug-14 05:53:36
Print Post

Wifi issue or not?

[link to this post]

Every so often at a random time on a router since i got it and i have now been using for years no real issues. However it seems to restart it's wifi randomly usualy 8-16 hours. It's starting to keep the wifi active more i believe due to the fact i have more wifi devices now.
Is there somekind of wifi energy saving system built in i am missing that shuts it down if nothing is connected? that would explain what i see.
It does! seem to reset if 1 or no wifi devices are connected. However if 1 or more is it has never reset or done anything wrong during streaming netflix or online gaming on a wifi connected wiii u.

router wifi uptime page screenshot

As you can see from that screenshot. Since last router reboot lan and wan got up and running during the router booting. So did the wifi at the time. But the wifi just happens to reset or turn itself off or reboot itself as said above.

We're not talking about my line stats which are in screenshot. My speed for my line length and attenuation is not totally bad and ping is good not too bothered about that and i don't think we could make it much faster.
Already got it up from 7000+ kbit and 950kbit upload so i've improved it myself quite abit following advice already posted here and else where.

Anyone who knows about router Wifi techs help would be appreciated.
If it helps the router in question is a old Sky D link manufactured router. So it says Sky on it etc but also says "manufactured by D link" at the back. It's before Sky started the home hubs.

Blackmesa8

Edited by blackmesa8 (Sat 09-Aug-14 05:55:43)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Aug-14 15:22:51
Print Post

Re: Wifi issue or not?

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

Very strange one. I'd try upgrading the firmware if one is available and if you feel up to it a reset of factory defaults. There could be valid reasons why it is doing this but then like you say it could be on its way out. Don't know what to suggest sorry, other than, consider buying a new router/wireless access point if you think it is causing trouble.

AAISP Home::1
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Aug-14 15:39:36
Print Post

Re: Wifi issue or not?

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

Looks to be a faulty router, ring Sky and get them to send out a Sky Hub as a replacement. You may need to re-contract if you're beyond the initial 12 months or pay for the router yourself.

A quick one. You could try putting a pin into the reset at the back of the router. See if resetting it helps although I doubt it will. Are you sure somebody isn't messing with the WiFi settings? Perhaps change the router admin password. Also try setting a fixed wireless channel rather than having it on AUTO. If that fails new router.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 10-Aug-14 15:41:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to