Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User EdR
(newbie) Wed 20-Aug-14 08:04:21
Print Post

Speed Test with TBB protacol

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have a VDSL broadband with Eclipse and the download speed test using both the TBB & HTTP protocols consistently return 75Mb/s but only from 11pm to 9am. From 9am to 11pm the TBB protocol consistently returns only 0.5Mb/s although the HTTP remains steady at 75Mb/sec.
It is as reliable as a time switch.

Any ideas on what can cause this?
Does this result indicate an actual degraded download performance from 9am to 11pm, or is it just a technical testing anomaly?
Where should I look for a solution?

Thanks,
Ed
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Wed 20-Aug-14 09:27:09
Print Post

Re: Speed Test with TBB protacol

[re: EdR] [link to this post]

This doesn't answer your question, especially as my experience is not time related, but may throw some light on it as it shows the very variable behaviour you can get from the TTB test.

I have a basic gigabit switch which I connect to a BT HomeHub3 and to my computer.
With switch connected to the gigabit port on the HH3 I saw TTB tests around 10Mbps .
With switch connected to a 100Mbps port on the HH3 I saw TTB tests around 70Mbps.
With computer connected directly to gigabit port on the HH3 I saw TTB tests around 70Mbps .
In all cases the HTTPx6 tests were full speed around 70Mbps.
All figures approximate.

--
BT Infinity 2, thinking of moving to PlusNet
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Wed 20-Aug-14 10:09:16
Print Post

[re: EdR] [link to this post]

Could it be something local, controlled by such a time-switch?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Aug-14 10:34:54
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Or could be the simplest explanation which is traffic management picking up on our non standard port and protocol for the tbbx1 test

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Wed 20-Aug-14 12:15:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Afternoon Andrew

On that "non standard port basis", would you recommend that the OP uses the TBB "Download Test Files" as a better test, given the circumstances?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Aug-14 13:18:27
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

If they want to do a single thread HTTP test then yes they are an option.

tbbMeter software gives you the options for single or multiple thread tests too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to