Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Benjanyan
(regular) Wed 20-Aug-14 17:45:51
Print Post

Training on a new line?

[link to this post]

Hi peeps.
My TTB Pro service with Xilo (up to 2.5 up) was activated today on a new line but after taking a look at the stats, I'm surprised to see it sitting on ADSL1 rather than 2 or 2+.

I would start screwing around with it (reboots, filters etc) but this is still day 1. Is it best left alone for now? I know "training" existed in the old days but does it still apply to LLU? I'm also wondering if the noise margin is a bit small considering the sync speed and attenuation...

adslctl info --stats output: http://pastebin.com/eTCgLvs4

Cheers.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Aug-14 19:18:41
Print Post

Re: Training on a new line?

[re: Benjanyan] [link to this post]

Max sync for adsl mode needs provider to confirm adsl2+ is enabled on line and your modem is in multimode or adsl2+ mode

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Benjanyan
(regular) Wed 20-Aug-14 20:48:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the insight, Andrew. I went ahead and reset the different modes on the modem to default (the only difference being that "multimode" wasn't selected anymore). It's now using ADSL2+ as expected. http://pastebin.com/ykLZf5yi

Guess it threw a wobbly? It's a DG834GT running the DGTeam firmware so it's getting on a bit...

Edited by Benjanyan (Wed 20-Aug-14 20:49:14)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Aug-14 20:56:50
Print Post

Thats better presume you opted for annex m better uploads speeds. Though only a marginal improvement at that line length

Annex M does make some kit throw a wobbly at times

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Benjanyan
(regular) Wed 20-Aug-14 21:07:24
Print Post

Indeed. There was no active telephone line so I was reliant on speed estimates by address which were very optimistic at around 15mbps so I was hoping to benefit from annex m a little more. The check by phone number (now that I have one) is bang on at 10mbps. I'll look into getting interleaving enabled.

Strangely, Xilo have just emailed to say that my order is delayed!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Aug-14 22:16:22
Print Post

Annex m will have cost you some download speed to get the extra upload

So which is more important?

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Aug-14 22:47:37
Print Post

& you may be getting only 0.1 - 0.2 Meg extra upload whilst you could be getting 13 Meg download on Annex A.

EDIT: Omitted the decimal point in upload.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 21-Aug-14 03:21:19)

Standard User Benjanyan
(regular) Thu 21-Aug-14 22:05:03
Print Post

I want to be running a mail server from home so any extra upload bandwidth is welcome, even at the cost of download. There are fairly near dates for FTTC in the area so I'm hoping this is will only be temporarily otherwise I'll be investigating line bonding. smile

Xilo have realised the line's active and I've put in a request for interleaving to be enabled. I'll also try disabling annex m on the modem for comparison out of curiosity.

Thanks, gents.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 21-Aug-14 22:13:22
Print Post

I've never heard of anyone disabling Annex M in the modem, as that doesn't disable it at the DSLAM. It may cause the DSLAM to train down to proper ADSL2+, but maybe the modem merely loses the extra upstream bins and they don't get re-allocated to the downstream.

At below 16Mbps Annex A downstream changing to Annex M (which has to be enabled by the ISP) will lose ~2.5Mbps downstream wuth a tiny increase in upstream. At a guess, a 15Mbps Annex A would not give any upstream increase on Annex M.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 21-Aug-14 22:41:18)

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Aug-14 23:29:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It may also cause the line not to sync at all.

Some TTB profiles for Annex M are Annex M only. If you attempt to set anything else on the modem side, it won't work at all.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to