Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NuPe
(newbie) Wed 27-Aug-14 18:33:15
Print Post

odd gaming lag in general

[link to this post]

Hello there, this is probably my first post here, and it's about an issue that has plagued my gaming experience for as many years as i can remember, i'll try explain it as best i can and provide examples...

In multiplayer games (mainly shooters), i get a sort of lag that makes it seem like my enemies are always ahead of me even when my latency is as low as 20ms.

In Battlefield 4 i get "ghost shots" when using vehicles and aircraft, tank shells for example can land directly on a chopper but will often not register as hits, or i might miss the chopper entirely but it will blow up a second later from a registered hit.. in return i am killed around corners quite often (hitbox lagging behind), and i visually see projectiles miss but register as hits on the vehicle or aircraft that i'm using.

In APB: Reloaded the hitreg is wonky at best, using shotguns is a nightmare as half the blasts don't register as hits, but when an enemy uses one they appear to get perfect hitreg, i have also been killed around corners in APB but not quite as blatant as in BF4.

I started noticing this sort of lag around the time CoD: Modern Warfare 2 released, the hitbox lag was apparent from the very first match i played, it then happened in CoD: Black Ops 2 and finally in CoD: Modern Warfare 3, some side-effect of the matchmaking i imagine, but is it really?

I made this thread to try figure out why this is happening, what made it start happening, and if there is literally anything i can do to alleviate the problem.

We are currently with virgin media, using the "medium" broadband package which is 30/2, and have used this ISP for many years across several house moves

Thanks for any help/advice,

(not entirely sure this is the right place to post but it seemed like it)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 27-Aug-14 19:07:16
Print Post

Re: odd gaming lag in general

[re: NuPe] [link to this post]

?
In February weren't you on EE?

Is this wireless or wired to your router? If wireless, is it different wired?

Is it affected by the time of day, and perhaps also the day of the week?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User NuPe
(newbie) Wed 27-Aug-14 19:22:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

yehhh you jogged my memory, i was living with a family member at the time but it didn't last long..

this is wired, the lag is persistent throughout the day, week, month, year

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Aug-14 19:35:37
Print Post

Get thinkbroadband or f8lure ping monitoring on your connection for a day or so, and then post the graph here.

What router? Try disabling firewall on it.

AAISP Home::1
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Aug-14 19:38:11
Print Post

Cable services tend to have more lag and variability in ping than their xDSL cousins and if you are in a busy area this can be worse.

What upload speed are you on? If running voice as well as gameplay it is possible you might get oddities if for example someone else is in the house and browses to a web page - faster connections suffer this less.

Beyond that was are standard out going pings like e.g. ping -n 30 www.thinkbroadband.com which will ping us 30 times to give a reasonable average.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NuPe
(newbie) Wed 27-Aug-14 19:53:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

the upload speed we have is 2mb which i think is 256kb/s...

the ping had 0% loss with a minumum of 15ms and a maximum of 24ms

___

the router is a netgear WGR614V9 hooked up to a virgin media superhub (1 i believe)that's in modem mode.. the netgear router provides a better wireless signal though i've seen no difference in wired connectivity when using the superhub either

Edited by NuPe (Wed 27-Aug-14 20:01:00)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Aug-14 20:06:57
Print Post

Okay try a ping -t www.thinkbroadband.com running for a longer period (CTRL C will stop it to get stats) and see if there are spikes every so often.

It is possible for one site to be good, so if pings to us are stable then pick some other sites to ping or ideally the servers you regularly play on.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NuPe
(newbie) Wed 27-Aug-14 20:28:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

no spikes in the longer ping but i did notice a difference when i pinged a few battlefield game servers, just that the TTL was 113 instead of 51 which it was when pinging thinkbroadband.. does this mean anything?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Aug-14 20:47:02
Print Post

Just that they are probably further away. Some games have a tendency to pick foreign servers i.e. coders think as UK is in European a mainland Europe server is a good choice

Standard User bigbadpirate
(regular) Wed 27-Aug-14 21:34:57
Print Post

you tried different machines?

all on microsoft?

as on alleviating the problem practice practice practice - play so much you know what they are going to do before they do. dont play games by lazy usless developers that use hitscan as the norm.

Edited by bigbadpirate (Wed 27-Aug-14 21:56:04)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to