Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Sep-14 00:55:35
Print Post

Re: odd gaming lag in general

[re: NuPe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NuPe:
what's fibre like though? i was thinking of going with plusnet fibre@38/9 but there's a large upfront cost and around a month of waiting before it's installed and ready to use
It's 38/19.5 or 76/19.5 and if you also take Plusnet line rental (on anything but VM Cable you have to take line rental from someone) the upfront cost should be at most £49.99 for a new line or transfer from a cable line, plus perhaps the £5.99 P & P on a Plusnet router. Your VM router should work but may itself be dodgy.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User NuPe
(newbie) Wed 03-Sep-14 01:26:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

ah, could've been 19.5, only looked at it once or twice..

i'll be honest, i don't work, and there's still a lot more i need to buy before my flat is able to be comfortably lived in at all, so throwing down the £75 (1st month/installation/router) for a service i'd not get for almost a month is a bit out there y'know?

but where else do i turn since i've just about had it with virgin media, and would really like to try someone else, it just seems like the best fibre deal around but at this rate i'm gona miss the discount and prolong the time i have no internet/phone line, the only other thing offputting about this fibre deal is the discount that would only last 6 of the 18 contract months
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Sep-14 01:45:44
Print Post

Keep an eye on both Topcashback and Quidco who these days seem to alternate with good Plusnet deals, though perhaps only on the 76/19.5. Check them out for any ISP, and anything you buy online.

Best to keep a different browser for use on such sites, as if the provider company has cookies on your machine from previous browsing the cashback can be rejected.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Sep-14 08:57:13
Print Post

PlusNet fibre offers have until 28th October now.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NuPe
(newbie) Wed 03-Sep-14 18:31:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Keep an eye on both Topcashback and Quidco who these days seem to alternate with good Plusnet deals, though perhaps only on the 76/19.5. Check them out for any ISP, and anything you buy online.

Best to keep a different browser for use on such sites, as if the provider company has cookies on your machine from previous browsing the cashback can be rejected.
had a change of luck and got my hands on a load of free stuff for my flat so i can spare the £75 now

topcashback have an offer on the fibre deal i was looking at, up to £157.50 cashback.. i don't have a clue what this entails but cheers for the heads-up... would it be possible to get your plusnet username so i can add you as a referrer?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Sep-14 18:36:25
Print Post

I don't think you can get Cashback and use a referrer, because the cashback sites are referrers as well. I'd hate to screw up that much cashback for you. Thanks for asking though smile.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Sep-14 18:39:35
Print Post

You have to take Plusnet line rental as well as the FTTC to get it that smile.

Standard User NuPe
(newbie) Wed 03-Sep-14 18:46:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I don't think you can get Cashback and use a referrer, because the cashback sites are referrers as well. I'd hate to screw up that much cashback for you. Thanks for asking though smile.
ahh yeh, that makes perfect sense, i will be ordering the landline along with the fibre because i'll need one.. there's a BT phone socket and another BT box thingy right next to it but i doubt that's enough to warrant a discount or something on the installation fee so i'll not fuss around any longer

alright, that's ordered.. in 2-3 weeks i'll update the thread with how well the fibre is working out for me, cheers

Edited by NuPe (Wed 03-Sep-14 20:48:33)

Standard User blim
(newbie) Fri 02-Jan-15 14:52:45
Print Post

Are you guys forgetting something!?!

I'm with PN fiber fttc and even with a rock solid connection this very same hit reg problem is consists. The real problem is ISP's not taking responsibility for the quality for their providers(the service they pay for). Basicly they are paying bottom end prices for their link agreements that affect our connection to these game servers.

But what really annoys me is the way you guys promote dsl connections (BT) for no good reason. If anything cable is a better choice for gamers, firstly because it doesn't use BT's rubbish infrastructure and because cable had been and still is by far evolved past dsl. Cable has a faster tick rate and shares less nods than BT's network.

What would be really nice is if someone could provide some REAL useful info about this problem and not make it worse by encouraging everyone to use BT making them the dominating, monopolizing company that has no intentions in fixing or giving two f's about anything other than money.

I am disgusted with this behaviour. What has this world come to!?!
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Fri 02-Jan-15 16:20:13
Print Post

Re: odd gaming lag in general *DELETED*

Post deleted by mlmclaren
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to