Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smipx
(newbie) Fri 29-Aug-14 10:55:50
Print Post

Constant disconnect then exchange equipment goes down

[link to this post]

Hi, Please excuse the length of this post but I hope its worth a read.....

I am at my wits end on an issue I am having with my broadband provider and its knock on effect with my VOIP service that I rely on for my home business.

I have a broadband contract with EE and they have supplied me a BrightBox router. I have been told by voipfone that the BrightBox router does not work properly with Voip due to its poor implementation of SIPALG and no option to disable it. I was advised to use another router. I currently use a netgear DG834GT with a DG934 as a backup device. All is well with both the broadband (and the VOIP) when it gets a connection to the exchange. A major problem problem arises that if I turn off the router (I have tried all 3 including the brightbox) and turn it back on. It refuses to connect back up to the exchange equipment. Both of these netgear routers have been faultless for many years (at other properties and at this property when I was with Sky BB and I am not convinced it is a router issue at all but then comes the difficult part.

Each time I have the problem, EE make me use the BrightBox for testing and then sometimes they can get it working by doing a remote reset of the exchange equipment and sometimes they have to send an openreach engineer out. I have now had two openreach engineers on two separate occasions and 3 remote resets. The Openreach engineers have each time “made some changes at the exchange” and all appears well once when they have made their tests and “resets” and changes in the exchange. One of them also said that he had to replace a cable between the line and the BRAS/DSLAM?? Problem is that I then leave the router plugged in for 10 days (told I have to let the line re-train by EE) and then the cycle begins again as soon as the router loses power (or I switch it off for any reason. Each time the BT engineer is here I explain that I am using the DG834GT and he says “no problem” and “that is fine” so each time I get a working scenario with the router I need for the VOIP – I am careful to make sure it gets working with my own router on each visit. Each time, 10 days later, the router gets a power cycle (to make sure it can reconnect as any normal broadband connection should) and it fails. The cycle and merry dance of charades about routers begins again with EE. They have now got to the point where they are telling me I must use their router.

I am left with 2 choices:

1. Ditch VOIP - not what I want to do at all.
2. Move to another BB provider – problem here is that they mostly all use the BT equipment in my exchange so I am not sure this will help. The only exception to this is Sky. I believe they have their own equipment in our exchange and this was the provider I used prior to switching to EE. I don’t want to really go back to Sky though.

I’m a bit desperate. I need to remove the using of my own router/modem as a possible cause but if I do then I lose my VOIP as I can only use the BrightBox. Like I said I have tried to use two different routers, both of which were rock solid for years so I am certain that it is not the equipment at my end but my God, you try talking to an EE level 1 and level 2 support person each time it happens – it takes many days to get to the point of them booking an openreach engineer as well as hours of mind numbing “put your router in the test socket, reset your password, reset the router” and all the usual level 1 stuff. This is not to mention the 3-6 working days lead time each time for an openreach engineer visit.

Yesterday EE reset the line remotely and the BB came back (with the netgear router plugged in). I left it for an hour and then turned off the router for 1 minute and back on again. The router would then not connect. On the routers I get repeated “LCP is allowed to come up” on the netgears and “LCP send confreq” or something similar on the BrightBox. This is telling me that the other end (exchange) is not replying at all to anything my router sends out and the exchange equipment is not trying to communicate with my equipment (i.e. the act of turning my router off and back on has killed the remote equipment again)

EE don’t understand the concept of VOIP at all so I am taking in vein with them about why I must use my own router. I suspect the next stage will be that they will send me a replacement BrightBox which will not help my VOIP incompatibility issue.

I have the option of forwarding my VOIP to my landline for incoming calls and then using my landline for outgoing calls but this is not really the point of having the VOIP in the first place. It also means that I will have to pay for each incoming call as well as EE’s extortionate rates for each outgoing calls.

Can anyone help? Is there something specific I should be discussing with the openreach engineer on his next visit? It's a different engineer each time so far and each time they fix it and shut down the fault.

It's all so depressing smile

Thanks
Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Aug-14 11:57:15
Print Post

Re: Constant disconnect then exchange equipment goes down

[re: smipx] [link to this post]

When you say connect to the exchange this occurs at two main levels

1. Do you get a sync connection speed reported in the router?
2. If you do and still no connection to the Internet then suggests an authentication delay, and some routers may have the PPP timeout lower than what EE is managing to respond to.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User smipx
(newbie) Fri 29-Aug-14 12:52:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

No sync speed once it goes bad - just the LCP is allowed to come up / LCP send confreq. When the OpenReach engineer came over last time (and the time before) he used his own test equipment and could not get any reply from the equipment in the exchange with that either. It seems that every time this happens the exchange equipment needs to be reset.

Also, It;'s not just the Netgear routers that refuse to connect once it goes bad. The BrightBox from EE als sits there sending out its requests for LCP confreq and gets no reply from the exchange equipment either.

When it is working (i.e. connected post the repair by openreach / reset by EE) it syncs in a very stable fashion at around 8500kbps/1200kbps and no errors. It stays connected just fine and the longest (before I rebooted the router) was a good 2 weeks uptime with no issue.

On one of my routers I have the DGTeam firmware installed so am probably able to tweak things such as the PPP timeout and other things.

At this point it is dead and I am awaiting a call back from EE with a view to yet another Openreach visit to reset the exchange equipment so I cant test anyting really at the moment.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Aug-14 12:58:10
Print Post

Lift and Shift, i.e. move you to a different port on the BT Wholesale kit at the exchange.

Reset of the line card port is done remotely by someone sat on a BT Wholesale desk, nothing at all to do with Openreach. EE may say someone goes to the exchange to reset it, but they mean someone in a comfy office logs into control software and resets that line card port, or a whole card or a whole DSLAM.

Lift and shift moves you to a different port and often fixes these oddities.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Aug-14 14:03:37
Print Post

Using the BrightBox, when this problem happens, how much of this System Log do you see, reading from bottom?
Fri Aug 29 13:59:22 2014 PPP connection up (VC1)
Fri Aug 29 13:59:19 2014 PPP: IPCP up
Fri Aug 29 13:59:19 2014 PPP: IPCP received CONFACK
Fri Aug 29 13:59:19 2014 PPP: IPCP sending CONFREQ
Fri Aug 29 13:59:19 2014 PPP: IPCP received CONFNAK
Fri Aug 29 13:59:19 2014 PPP: IPCP received CONFREJ
Fri Aug 29 13:59:19 2014 PPP: IPCP sending CONFACK
Fri Aug 29 13:59:19 2014 PPP: IPCP received CONFREQ
Fri Aug 29 13:59:19 2014 PPP: CHAP authentication succeeded
Fri Aug 29 13:59:03 2014 PPP: LCP up
Fri Aug 29 13:59:02 2014 PPP: LCP received CONFACK
Fri Aug 29 13:59:02 2014 PPP: LCP sending CONFACK
Fri Aug 29 13:59:02 2014 PPP: LCP received CONFREQ
Fri Aug 29 13:59:02 2014 PPP: LCP sending CONFREQ
Fri Aug 29 13:59:01 2014 PPP: Starting daemon
Fri Aug 29 13:58:54 2014 WAN link up (ADSL)
Fri Aug 29 13:58:42 2014 admin login success from 192.168.1.105

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User smipx
(newbie) Fri 29-Aug-14 15:00:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Nice one. When the BT engineer comes again I will ask him to do that. I will also tell EE to get that done. One way or the other hopefully it will happen.

Don't hold out a lot of hope if my current experience of EE support is anything to go by though frown(

As for the logs xrayspex I just get line after line of: PPP: IPCP sending CONFREQ and nothing else.

Cheers,
P
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 29-Aug-14 15:51:19
Print Post

It's not an Openreach problem, doing a Lift & Shift. It has to be ordered (and paid for) by the provider. It is a change because of a suspect line card on the BT Wholesale MSAN. Openreach just do the move to whichever line card they are told to use instead.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Aug-14 16:22:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by smipx:
As for the logs xrayspex I just get line after line of: PPP: IPCP sending CONFREQ and nothing else.
Um, that would indicate that you have both synced with exchange and authenticated with EE successfully, since you have passed the line:
PPP: CHAP authentication succeeded
EDIT: Or did you mean the BB got as far as the 'PPP: LCP sending CONFREQ', as you said the Netgear did, which is a whole diff ballgame?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 29-Aug-14 16:54:20)

Standard User smipx
(newbie) Fri 29-Aug-14 17:21:21
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I just get the PPP: LCP sending CONFREQ over and over. Nothing else.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 30-Aug-14 22:47:14
Print Post

Consider changing to another provider.

I use BT - Business and have two VOIP numbers. The original BT 2700 hub (ADSL) and 2701 router (FTTC) actually provide the outputs and I can also use a VOIP application on my PC.

You can normally run CISCO and (now) Gigaset VOIP interfaces on a BT broadband service.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to