Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spann
(newbie) Wed 03-Sep-14 11:07:35
Print Post

BT FTTC Speed issues at peak times

[link to this post]

Hi all,

First post, I'm hoping you can help.

Long story short: We had Fibre installed at our property in July, first couple of days we were getting 25-35mb pretty much constantly. However, a couple of weeks in I noticed things didn't seem as quick as they could be, so I ran a few tests - turns out we were getting 6mb/s! I've seen the speed sink as low as 0.5mb (usually Friday nights), and occasionally we do get 35+.

Automated speed tests show things are fine in the day, but drop significantly on evenings and sometimes on weekends.

I've monitored my Noise Margin (constant at 12dB) and packet loss (constant at zero) as one engineer told me it was definitely REIN, but here's a graph of my speed over a 45 minute period last night:

CLICK FOR GRAPH

Noise Margin, Attenuation etc all stayed constant while my throughput was doing the above.

As you can see my DL speed is all over the shop - but my upload stays solid at 9mbs at all times (Which is why it's not tracked); it's not uncommon for our upload to be faster than our download. I've also had two different HH5s, and even tried a VDSL router plugged into a HH3 that was knocking round at home.

Basically do people think this is congestion at the exchange? I've had 4 engineers tell me the line is perfect, and even when the problem is at its worse there doesn't seem to be any sort of interference - all I can think is as it's a new estate they're adding houses to the exchange and it's beginning to struggle - the BT community forum is no help, I'm hoping you guys can be.

Edited by spann (Wed 03-Sep-14 11:13:46)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Sep-14 11:24:49
Print Post

Re: BT FTTC Speed issues at peak times

[re: spann] [link to this post]

Have you used our tester at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

The two download tests can help spot congestion, and the tester will even warn you if it spots it.

We presume you are testing using an Ethernet connection, Wi-Fi is subject to its own interference and congestion.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User spann
(newbie) Wed 03-Sep-14 11:28:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew,

I'll try that test later, thanks.

Problem is present via all methods of connection - An Openreach engineer verified the issue while he was at the house (he happened to be there at 5pm when it started to drop) with his laptop plugged into a brand new HH5 via cat 5 - the only thing in the house connected - I've also tried running the same tests with PC off/in safe mode to rule out malware etc.

Edited by spann (Wed 03-Sep-14 11:30:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User spann
(newbie) Wed 03-Sep-14 12:18:09
Print Post

Speedtest ran just now comes in as follows:

CLICK HERE

I'll do one at teatime, when I expect to see a drop.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Sep-14 12:22:23
Print Post

OK but not ideal should be flat like
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

A few weeks ago had bad speeds for a few weeks which showed up as
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Others on ISP had no issues, so put it down to BT Wholesale network congestion as got fixed and did look for region trends at the time but spotted nothing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User spann
(newbie) Wed 03-Sep-14 13:31:49
Print Post

Thanks Andrew - I'm certain it will be worse by about 6pm.

If it is congestion, is there anything I can do? I have a feeling BT are going to insist on sending a REIN engineer out to no avail.

I know other people on the same exchange who have zero issues - is it possible that moving to an LLU ISP would help?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Sep-14 14:21:35
Print Post

A LLU ISP may help, if issue is WBC backhaul.

Most speedtests mask congestion so many may have it but not be very aware of it. Our tbbx1 test is very sensitive to congestion issues.

Standard User spann
(newbie) Wed 03-Sep-14 14:36:24
Print Post

Thanks so much Andrew, you've been really helpful. I'm going to drop another speedtest in here this evening when it's running slowly, but I'm also due a call from BT today and I'm going to do what I can to get a MAC code from them as they're not providing the advertised service.
Standard User spann
(newbie) Wed 03-Sep-14 17:45:08
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14097...

Speed test done just now - this is actually a lot better than I normally get this time of night.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Sep-14 17:55:08
Print Post

Still pretty bad

Which exchange are you on? Might see if there is a pattern to other tests in the area if nothing on TV tonight

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to