Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Speedchaser
(member) Tue 09-Sep-14 20:19:43
Print Post

Speed drop any thoughts?

[link to this post]

My internet speed has dropped, not by a lot but enough to make a difference for our families home use. I was with BT fibre and then a year ago moved to Plusnet fibre. As I'm a long way from the cabinet speeds with BT then Plusnet approx 10.5 down to 1.1 up. Then just a few days ago speed has dropped to 8.2 down to 0.67 up. It is noticeable with multiple users. Can anyone give me pointers to investigating the issue. I have been unable to access line stats apparently I am locked out of them by Plusnet??
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Sep-14 22:05:38
Print Post

Re: Speed drop any thoughts?

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

Your drop in speed is quite possibly due to increased crosstalk as other subscribers connected to the same cabinet and in the same cable bundle as your line take up FTTC.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Sep-14 22:10:58
Print Post

A question that may be relevant, may not be - you have the Openreach modem now, did you have that with BT as well or did your HomeHub have a built-in one?

Please can you run the BT Wholesale Performance Test, (ignore all the red instructions for now), and continue to the Further diagnostics at the bottom of the initial results page. Please copy and paste the contents of the two text boxes of results. We don't need the graphics.

Then go to your Plusnet Member Centre >> Connection details >> High Speed Broadband, and tell us the Current line speed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Wed 10-Sep-14 11:42:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the help.

To answer your questions, I have had the Openreach (Huawei) modem separate since going to BT FTTC. The only thing that changed when I went to Plusnet was my hub was changed to a technicolor, the Openreach modem remains insitu. There was no real increase or decrease in speed in switching. Speeds have been constant now for two years with BT then Plusnet. Just a sudden drop over the last few days. Almost back to my old ADSL speeds.

The BT wholesale tests are posted below.

Download speed achieved during the test was - 8.27 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20 Mbps-10.46 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 10.46 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.67Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps
(member) Wed 10-Sep-14 11:47:50
Print Post

Sorry you also asked for this info from Plusnet site.

Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
10.4 Mb
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-Sep-14 14:30:55
Print Post

The downstream IP Profile and Plusnet Current line speed look fine, so the 8.27Mbps speed test looks odd. I would expect crosstalk to have lowered those two profile figures. (The upstream profile is meaningless, it just means you are on the 40/10 product).

Were you able to see stats on Infinity? Basically they are in Openreach modem and that is what is locked down. Sky and maybe BT do pass them through to the router themselves. Plusnet don't.

As you have a Huawei modem it is possible to unlock it very easily, enabling you to get full stats and there are also a couple of programs available to monitor them continuously and provide graphs. If you are happy to flash an updated firmware to the modem then you could do that. Many people get another HG612 off eBay and flash that so they don't risk their working one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(member) Wed 10-Sep-14 15:14:39
Print Post

I think getting another modem to trial on is a good idea in case something goes wrong. Where do I access the update? And how ultimately will it benifit my problem?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-Sep-14 17:19:39
Print Post

The stats, particularly the excellent graphs that make them easier to understand, show up many things about the line conditions that might help diagnose the problem.

It could of course be simple exchange congestion. The thinkbroadband speed test gives a useful graph that often shows up congestion issues. A link is provided for you to let us see the result.

If you PM Bald_Eagle1 he should be able to point you to the latest hacked firmware and the best version of the graphs to use. I'm a bit out of touch with it. I see new versions announced in the Fibre forum here but I'm happy with just looking at the stats from the initial version that I have.

(member) Sun 21-Sep-14 21:46:31
Print Post

Ok, I was looking to buy an extra router on ebay but kept getting piped on price. I have decided to bite the bullet and just flash my current HG612. I've printed off the instructions and have the update ready (Thanks Bald-Eagle1). However before I go can I clarify a couple of things.

1) The instructions state to connect my PC to LAN2. Currently this has a sticker over it stating "not in use". I assume I just remove this sticker and use the LAN2 connection?

2) Do I keep LAN1 line currently connected to my Plusnet Techiclolor router in place or remove it for the flash?

3) Do I keep the DSL line from my HG612 to BT faceplate in place or disconnect it for the Flash?
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Sep-14 12:41:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Speedchaser:
1) The instructions state to connect my PC to LAN2. Currently this has a sticker over it stating "not in use". I assume I just remove this sticker and use the LAN2 connection?

Correct.
2) Do I keep LAN1 line currently connected to my Plusnet Techiclolor router in place or remove it for the flash?

Shouldn't matter.
3) Do I keep the DSL line from my HG612 to BT faceplate in place or disconnect it for the Flash?

Shouldn't matter.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to