Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Speedchaser
(member) Fri 19-Sep-14 14:16:40
Print Post

Huawei hg612 Purpose

[link to this post]

Hi. Please excuse my total ignorance but I would like to ask what is the specific purpose of the Openreach HG612 modem when switching to FTTC? Is it simply to allow compatibility with the operating software/systems? Did my old ADSL home hub have intergrated modem/router? Could I connect a home hub directly to the faceplate and bypass the Huawei HG612 and still get a broadband connection?
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Sep-14 14:29:03
Print Post

Re: Huawei hg612 Purpose

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

As you are suggesting the HG612 is a modem.
I believe (I'm not a BT customer) the HH5 has a built in router/modem for FTTC so is a one box solution like most people are used to with ADSL.

Over time as FTTC becomes more common I guess plenty more (affordable) router/modems will be available.

(member) Fri 19-Sep-14 14:51:21
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

So if I reconected mt old home hub 2 (I am assuming both modem and router) would it function with the FTTC?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Sep-14 15:03:00
Print Post

No, you need a VDSL modem for FTTC, this is either provided separately, as in the case of the HG612, or integrated with a router, as in the case of the Home Hub 5. An ADSL router/modem will not work.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Sep-14 15:03:15
Print Post

No. Think it was only the homehub 4 and above that had a VDSL modem (which is what you need for FTTC). Earlier hubs were ADSL only.
(member) Fri 19-Sep-14 15:35:38
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Again, sorry for the ignorance, but what is it that makes the two incompatible? Is it that the the software controlling the adsl modem different? Is the data sent via fibre different in some form and needs translating differently?

Edited by Speedchaser (Fri 19-Sep-14 15:36:09)

Standard User panda
(committed) Fri 19-Sep-14 15:40:43
Print Post

ADSL and VDSL (FTTC) are two similar, but slightly different technologies - perhaps analogous to FM or AM radio.
You have an ADSL modem built into your router (AM), but you need a VDSL modem (FM) to receive FTTC.

Eats shoots and leaves.

Edited by panda (Fri 19-Sep-14 15:41:03)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Sep-14 15:44:16
Print Post

What Panda said...

The VDSL modem uses additional frequencies that the chips in an ADSL modem are not designed to be able to utilise. The FM/AM analogy is very good - if you had a AM radio you cannot pick up FM frequencies but an combined AM/FM radio can do either. VDSL is the combined AM/FM equivalent and because it has such a wider range of frequencies it is capable of running at higher speeds - more space to squeeze that data down.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Sep-14 16:51:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Speedchaser:
Is it that the the software controlling the adsl modem different? Is the data sent via fibre different in some form and needs translating differently?
The signal being received/sent is different and therefore requires diff software to handle it. Also the processing power needs to be better with VDSL.

An ADSL modem only copes with an ADSL protocol. A VDSL modem will be faster and cope with both.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Sep-14 17:54:39
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Correction, only the Hub 5 and above have an integrated VDSL modem. smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to