Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Provster
(member) Fri 10-Oct-14 14:33:40
Print Post

How do you tell if your line is Aluminium?

[link to this post]

How can you tell whether your line is Aluminium? I am getting much slower FTTC speeds than I should be, and I'm wondering if there is any year span when new all lines were put in as Aluminium, or any particular areas where that is the case?

I live in a housing estate built in 1992, but I believe when the master socket was off and the MK2 openreach faceplate was being installed that the cables coming into the house were copper because the bare cables looked golden/orange rather than silver.

I have a new provide of FTTC, estimates were 77.8 - 80 down and 19 - 20 up, but I'm getting 43 down and 2.4 up. I'm about 150m by road from the cabinet.
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Fri 10-Oct-14 15:27:54
Print Post

Re: How do you tell if your line is Aluminium?

[re: Provster] [link to this post]

the bare cables looked golden/orange rather than silver

Wouldn't that apply to the copper-coated aluminium?

Derek
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Oct-14 15:47:00
Print Post

Need to see the bin plots and verify cable lengths and then if its Al the attenuations would be higher than you would expect for the same length of copper.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Provster
(member) Fri 10-Oct-14 16:56:14
Print Post

[re: dandnsmith] [link to this post]

True... I guess the only way would be to look at the very end of the cable, IE, the cross section when it's been cut.
Standard User Provster
(member) Fri 10-Oct-14 16:57:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Is a bin plot a map of where all the cables in the area run? I've never heard that term before.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Oct-14 17:32:35
Print Post

If your estate was built in 1992, then it is EXTREMELY unlikely that your pair has aluminium in it. At 150m from the cab you'd still be looking at max sync, even on ali.

Time to get your ISP involved and have then get Openreach to check it out. Botched install, or split pair maybe.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Oct-14 17:34:02
Print Post

It is a spectrum analysis of how the modem is populating the up to 17 MHz of bandwidth with bits of data that make up your VDSL2 connection.

Inspecting this in comparison to other healthy known copper lines may show if its a likely aluminium issue, i.e. attenuation is poor across the many bands used, or if its noise issues (e.g. poor wiring) then attenuation should be normal, but SNR very bad.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Oct-14 17:35:56
Print Post

Better way would be a resistance measurement across a length of the cable, and this is more or less what the attenuation figures from modems provide.

Aluminium has a higher attenuation at ADSL/VDSL frequencies than copper does, and as you ramp the frequency up it gets worse.

Standard User Icaras
(member) Fri 10-Oct-14 18:26:56
Print Post

Your underground feed to your house won't be aluminium if it was built in the 90s. However there could be some aluminium somewhere else in the network between you and the cabinet. Unless your estate has its own cabinet that is.
Standard User Provster
(member) Wed 15-Oct-14 11:09:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron for your 3 replies. Very helpful smile
  Print Thread

Jump to