Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 12-Oct-14 20:23:19
Print Post

Help with dreadful speeds please.

[link to this post]

MODS: If I've posted this in the wrong section, sorry please move to correct location.

Background. new Exchange Only connection to OR network on ADSL1, on rural farm. Line is about 6.5km long. ISP Pobroadband.

I have had major problems since being connected 5 weeks ago. Router would drop out in excess of 35 times per 24 hrs (PO's own figures) even when connected to test socket.
Different router, new telephone and a few tweaks have considerably reduced that down, but my speeds are 160kb to about 480kb and that is confirmed by the btspeedtest. Routers show sync speeds of 1664 upto 1950 but my actual speed remains as above. How / Why ? How can I be syncing at that level yet speed remains that low.?

PO have been utterly and completely useless in every sense.

There are 3 houses on the farm joined to each other, 2 of us have broadband, my immediate neighbour gets and maintains about 1.5 meg speed and we share the same physical cables from the pole.

Help really would be gratefully accepted.

Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 12-Oct-14 20:30:26
Print Post

Re: Help with dreadful speeds please.

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

What are the stats that the modem reports?

Are the downstream and upstream noise margins stable?

Post Office uses TalkTalk and if not on their unbundled network issue maybe the capacity they buy from BT Wholesale. Which provider do the others use, and what do the graphs look like from http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 12-Oct-14 20:42:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew.

I've just changed back to the PO supplied zygel modem (I know its not great but changing to another made no difference)

relative capacity occupation: 74%
noise margin upstream: 13.0 db
output power downstream: 16.0 dbm
attenuation upstream: 31.5 db
relative capacity occupation: 114%
noise margin downstream: 15.5 db
output power upstream: 12.5 dbm
attenuation downstream: 63.5 db

Not sure if snr stays the same, not thought to check.

next door uses BTinternet, but are currently away now for 2 weeks so I cannot now get their stats.

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 12-Oct-14 20:45:59
Print Post

will run TB speed test in a mo but the Ookla one shows about 0.1 - 0.4 Kbs

regards,
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 12-Oct-14 20:51:34
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

regards,
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 12-Oct-14 21:42:57
Print Post

Ok if noise margin was stable during test suggests congestion is not helping if (and assuming you are using ethernet to avoid wireless issues)

What is the ip profile from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

This will most likely be well below your connection speed as on older adsl only exchanges this is how it can behave on lines that flap around

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Mon 13-Oct-14 08:57:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes Andrew wired connection, firewall off etc.

Bt reports 0.12 Download
0.33 Upload
Ping 62ms

No other details available saying sverver cannot report back. I presume that is because it then goes to TT? although it is not LLU.

Exchange is Broadhaven Pembrokeshire btw.

regards,

Edited by ukwoody (Mon 13-Oct-14 09:32:19)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Oct-14 11:27:50
Print Post

If TT non-LLU it should work.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Oct-14 23:08:52
Print Post

The last six times I've pressed the tab for diagnostics I've had one report back the other five including one I tried three minutes ago have all given throughput speed only and the excuse re. the server, time something was fixed.
No LLU provision within my 20CN exchange.

plusnet user
  Print Thread

Jump to