Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sweetwrath85
(newbie) Fri 17-Oct-14 13:01:56
Print Post

Installation issue

[link to this post]

After the digital region network closure on the 14th august , my internet was cut off.
waited 3 weeks for a tag to be removed before I could place an order to get bt infinity fibre.
Got an install date, lovely gentleman came, hooked us up at cabinet, only to find that the port was faulty, waited another week for port to be fixed, then another engineer came to connect us. Nothing. 3 1/2 hours later as lots of phone calls the gentleman couldn't do anything, fibre was coming through on the line test, but not to my home hub, tried 3 other home hub 5s and 2 home hub 4s ad nothing. He replaced the face plate on the socket, even tried 2 filter sockets. Nothing. He said we needed another engineer because fibre is coming through but it must be really weak that it's not connecting to the hub, so another engineer with more sophisticated equiptment needs to check the line.
So yesterday another engineer came, checked the line and said it was all fine an had no idea why it wasn't working.
Anyone have any ideas, because clearly the engineers don't
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Oct-14 13:16:54
Print Post

Re: Installation issue

[re: Sweetwrath85] [link to this post]

Hard to say. What speeds did you get from Digital Region? The Openreach cabinet should not be that far from the old DR one and thus similar speeds should be possible and if its not working suggests an issue with wiring, most likely at the cabinet end, i.e. down to the removal of the DR segment.

The engineers kit should have given them a connection speed, and you should then be able to see similar values from the Home Hub.

Were the engineers actually Openreach, or perhaps contractors who will probably have no idea of the possible impact being an old DR line might have.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Fri 17-Oct-14 13:31:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've had 2 open reach engineers and 2 sub contractors. All were oblivious to the problem. I have another appt on Monday and they have promised to have this sorted. I've told all the engineers about being on the dr network. They all get the connection with the optical network box and have tried many line tests and it all comes back fine. They tried 5 different home hubs including 2 home hub 4s and 3 home hub 5s and but just won't work.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Oct-14 13:35:32
Print Post

'They all get the connection with the optical network box' what do you mean?

They plug in an orange device to the phone line at your home, and can see the VDSL2 signal OR do you mean if they goto the Openreach cabinet in the street they get a signal?

The signal is effectively the same as the Digital Region just that it originates from a different box in the street, but if the old box is still partly connected to your line it will cause havoc, or they may even be seeing the old DR signal. You can see a signal and still have no Internet access too, i.e. the HH5 will report a connection speed but give you no actual Internet connection.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Fri 17-Oct-14 13:50:06
Print Post

An ont it's the open reach network thing lol I'm not knowledgable with his stuff. They plugged it into my telephone master socket and it all showed up as workibg they said. Just can't get the connection to the modems.
One engineer said there must be a problem on the line between the cabinet and the house and needed to call another engineer with the sophisticated equiptment to find the problem, so another one came out and he had no idea.

I'm just furious because I've been without internet since the 14th august.

Edited by Sweetwrath85 (Fri 17-Oct-14 13:51:15)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Oct-14 14:00:07
Print Post

You mean something like http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/news/4011-bt-ft...

You then connect this to the HomeHub and plug the cable into the WAN port on HH5.

If you are plugging the HH5 directly into the socket marked by the black arrow in http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/images/facepl... then you plug the RJ11 lead into the DSL port on the HH5 and no need for an Openreach modem.

(newbie) Fri 17-Oct-14 14:14:50
Print Post

Yeah that's what he did. And it all worked on his modem , just not on any of the bt home hubs. (All 5 of them). It's so bizarre

The most annoying thing is that I can't talk to openreach directly, ad has to be done through bt who just keep sending me out new fibre install dates.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Oct-14 15:40:17
Print Post

If the Openreach modem can produce a SYNC i.e. solid DSL light, then they could have left you with that modem and connected via an Ethernet cable between LAN1 on the modem and the Ethernet WAN port on the HH5.

If that does not work, then the issue is NOT the VDSL2 but an authentication/port mapping issue, i.e. the hardware at cabinet is mapping you to another ISP and not BT Consumer. So an authentication issue.

Have you tried looking at the web interface for the HH5 when connected directly to the line using the DSL port, in that mode the stats in the web interface should show

VDSL Line Status.

Connection Information

Line state: Connected - Yours may not say connected if there is an authentication problem
Connection time: 2 days, 04:55:43
Downstream: 78.12 Mbps - You should get a figure here if synced but not authenticated.
Upstream: 19.53 Mbps

(newbie) Fri 17-Oct-14 16:47:05
Print Post

I think I'll have to wait for Monday because I only have the hh5 and that doesnt connect. I'm using mobile data on my mobile, have been for 9 weeks.

I didn't know the openreach modem could be left with us, I assumed it was their equptment.

I'm gonna have a look and see if I can find my old modem from my previous ISP see if that does anything.

Edited by Sweetwrath85 (Fri 17-Oct-14 16:54:18)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Oct-14 17:55:29
Print Post

With the HH5 what leads are you plugging into where? It is easy to plug the lead into the wrong port and you get no error messages.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to