Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bucksy
(newbie) Tue 21-Oct-14 20:00:40
Print Post

Tesco Broadband - high noise margin, low line rate

[link to this post]

Hi all

I've recently switched over to Tesco Briadband on their ADSL2+ product. Initially I plugged the modem into an extension socket in the lounge and achieved identical stats to my previous ISP (Sky), being approximately 1.7 Mbps download speeds on average. The stats as taken directly from the Technicolor TG582n router at that time were as follows:

2.1 Type ADSL2+ Annex A
2.2 Status Up
2.3 Uptime 0 days 16 hours 12 mins 32 secs
2.4 Line Rate (Down / Up) 2016 Kbps / 910 Kbps
2.5 Noise Margin (Down / Up) 5 dB / 6.5,dB
2.6 Attenuation (Down / Up) 48 dB / 25 dB
2.7 Power (Down / Up) 15 dBm / 12.8 dBm

After reviewing what I should be achieving per Tesco's estimate, I discovered this should be in the region of 4-8 Mbps.

After some research, I decided to remove the faceplate from the NTE5 Socket and plug the filter directly into the Test socket. After leaving the router plugged in for just over 3 days now, my stats are now showing as follows:

2.1 Type ADSL2+ Annex A
2.2 Status Up
2.3 Uptime 3 days 3 hours 0 mins 43 secs
2.4 Line Rate (Down / Up) 2016 Kbps / 974 Kbps
2.5 Noise Margin (Down / Up) 28.9 dB / 6.5 dB
2.6 Attenuation (Down / Up) 43.5 dB / 24 dB
2.7 Power (Down / Up) 17.5 dBm / 12.8 dBm

My question is this; based on the improved stats please could advise if I should have noticed an improvement in my sync speed by now, or am I being impatient?! I hear that sometimes it is possible to get stuck on a band so would DLM rectify this?

Many thanks in anticipation if any help!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Oct-14 20:12:37
Print Post

Re: Tesco Broadband - high noise margin, low line rate

[re: Bucksy] [link to this post]

Suspect C&W LLU (now Vodafone) DLM has capped the sync speed at 2 Mbps.

The C&W DLM is different to the BT Wholesale one, but looks like it has intervened. If line was left to adapt then 4 to 6 Mbps might be possible.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bucksy
(newbie) Tue 21-Oct-14 20:37:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for your prompt reply MrSaffron!

I have just made contact with Tesco BB Customer Support who took a look at the modem and advised there could be a potential fault on the line citing that the speed should have fluctuated over the past 3 days (which I guess would be indicative of DLM intervening?)

As it happens, I've checked the modem sync speed 3 times per day over the last 3 days, and it is always exactly 2016 Kbps which suggests that it has indeed been capped as you pointed out. Attenuation and Noise Margin have not fluctuated by more than 0.5 dB in either case.

In the meantime, Tesco have run a line test and have escalated this to 2nd Line Support (whoever they are?!). The Tesco CSA advises there could be a fault on the line, possibly at the exchange side of things, although I'm not entirely convinced given the consistently stable stats. 4-6 Mbps would be more the adequate for my needs so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a painless and expedient resolution!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bucksy
(newbie) Wed 22-Oct-14 19:06:49
Print Post

Just to give an update of my Tesco experience, this morning I woke to find no internet connection. The broadband router itself was showing a steady green light on the Broadband but a steady red light for the Internet.

After a check of the router instructions, I proceeded with a hard reset, resulting in Internet connectivity being restored. The stats now read as follows:

2.1 Type ADSL2+ Annex A
2.2 Status Up
2.3 Uptime 0 days 10 hours 20 mins 26 secs
2.4 Line Rate (Down / Up) 8246 Kbps / 1023 Kbps
2.5 Noise Margin (Down / Up) 8.6 dB / 6.5 dB
2.6 Attenuation (Down / Up) 43.5 dB / 24 dB
2.7 Power (Down / Up) 18.5 dBm / 12.8 dBm

This has obviously resulted in a vast improvement with my speed being quadrupled! Finally I can watch iPlayer HD! Whilst the connection is stable and has been since the reset, I have noticed that the broadband light on the router itself is completely off and has been since the reset, whereas the Internet light is on or flickering as it normally would. What does it mean if the broadband light is off? Should I be concerned or should I just enjoy my more than acceptable broadband speed?!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Oct-14 19:09:24
Print Post

On the led no idea. Some modems have different arrangements for what they show

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to