Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DG101
(member) Fri 31-Oct-14 17:44:06
Print Post

Profile stuck?

[link to this post]

I migrated from COMS to Plusnet a couple of days ago, in part because COMS limited the speed of my connection (even though I never used more than 50% of my metered allocation). I expected migration would reset my profile but ...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14147...

although my router is syncing at 8128 kb/sec - the max speed possible at the market 1 exchange

Plusnet support tell me
I have checked your account and there is no obvious cause for the issues you have reported. The speed profiles seem to be correct for the line, the line has been stable and there are no known issues in your area.
Any suggestions how to improve the situation?
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Oct-14 17:58:12
Print Post

Re: Profile stuck?

[re: DG101] [link to this post]

Have you checked your IP Profile?
Assuming your sync remains so good I would then asked Plusnet some questions!

EDIT: Don't forget to update your profile as is shows your ISP as Entanet smile

Edited by b4dger (Fri 31-Oct-14 17:59:26)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 31-Oct-14 17:58:47
Print Post

Please will you run the BT Wholesale Performance Test, (ignore all the red instructions), and when you get the first results page click the Further Diagnostics near the bottom.

It'll ask for your phone number, then give you another page. Please copy and paste the full contents of the two text boxes of results. We don't need the graphics.

What does your Member Centre >> Connection settings >> High-speed Broadband say your Current line speed is? (Example - Current line speed:54 Mb).

Are you testing wired or wireless?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DG101
(member) Fri 31-Oct-14 19:40:42
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

BBS profile updated!

How do I check my IP profile?

Ah ha - BT Speedtest reveals all!

Edited by DG101 (Fri 31-Oct-14 19:43:18)

Standard User DG101
(member) Fri 31-Oct-14 19:46:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

BT Speedtest result:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 2.43 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2.5 Mbps

Plusnet:
Estimated line speed:
8Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-10-16 17:03:29
Current line speed:
7.15 Mb
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 31-Oct-14 20:00:05
Print Post

Yep, the profile could be stuck. Was it like this from the moment you migrated?

Plusnet should be able to see the results of that BT Test.

In theory, on your type of connection, there is a chance it will self-correct overnight, but if it was like this on day 1 then I would have thought it would change last night.

The bad part is that the time for it to change is "up to 5 days" and that's what first-line support are likely to say.

I suggest you start a thread on the Community Forums with the content that you have just posted here. Though as it's Friday evening even that may not get attention until Monday. (The forum reps are senior and good and can get things done, but officially work Mon-Fri).

The good part is that it can certainly be fixed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User DG101
(member) Fri 31-Oct-14 20:08:27
Print Post

Yes, assuming the TBB graph in my OP reflects the profile, then it has been like that from day 1 (and previously with COMS).

I updated my Plusnet ticket with the BT result, so possibly I may see an improvement soon. If not, I'll post in the user forum.

Many thanks for your assistance.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 31-Oct-14 20:41:11
Print Post

Let us know how things go smile.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Oct-14 21:30:11
Print Post

In theory, on your type of connection, there is a chance it will self-correct overnight, but if it was like this on day 1 then I would have thought it would change last night.

I had a similar issue with my 20CN connection eventually after a week or two the PN current line speed dropped to match the BT IP profile from the router sync at the time. A shame really in some ways for my slow connection. tongue

plusnet user
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 31-Oct-14 23:23:19
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

I'm not sure what you are saying there.

Sync determines IP Profile determines PN Current line speed. If that path appears not to be being followed then the cause needs to be found and corrected.

If in your case you are saying a high sync had a low IP Profile and high PN CLS, but the PN CLS dropped to match the IP Profile but still a high sync, a PPP dis/reconnection could cause that. THe IP Profile needs sorting out

If you had a low sync and IP Profile but a higher PN CLS, the same sequence applies. Assuming the sync is valid that is exactly what should happen. Only within hours, not weeks.

All the PN CLS does is limit your download to a fraction below the IP Profile. It cannot boost it above the IP Profile.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to