Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Overjoyed
(learned) Fri 07-Nov-14 13:28:34
Print Post

Speed if change ISP

[link to this post]

I am thinking of changing to another ISP. I seem to remember I should have had 16 mb but the exchange was a distance away so I got around 8mb. If I change to another ISP will they have the same problem?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 07-Nov-14 13:35:28
Print Post

Re: Speed if change ISP

[re: Overjoyed] [link to this post]

Simple answer YES.

Change of ISP does not alter the distance from the exchange and thus attenuation. A Different termination in the exchange may change it very very slightly but nothing significant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 07-Nov-14 14:29:30
Print Post

You may find you can increase your speed by checking the ring/bell wire if you have never done so. That can improve connection speed by 0-2.5Mbps. Also read the Miscellaneous Nasties page.

If you are talking purely about throughput/speedtest results, these need to be done wired to your router, in case your wireless speed is rubbish.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(committed) Fri 07-Nov-14 17:41:54
Print Post

Would depend on router information such as Line Speed, Snr Margin and attenuation. Impossible to say without this.
I was on 6Mb with TT went to 12Mb with Eclipse. TT would not upgrade me to ADSL2.

Edited by flippery (Fri 07-Nov-14 17:46:14)

Print Thread

Jump to