Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 22-Nov-14 14:32:04
Print Post

PPP killed by a faulty RJ-11 cable?

[link to this post]

Came home yesterday to find the sync light on my router flashing away (Billion 8800NL)

Rebooted it and momentarily regained sync and it logged in, then dropped, resynced etc.

Rang Zen who told me it had been down since about midday and they were seeing sync, auth, drop every couple of minutes since the reboot.

Swapped the router for my backup Netgear DGND3300, connected to the test socket and replaced the filter for a spare ADSL Nation/Tandy one (I have two of these)

Got a stable connection for a few hours but got up today to find it synced but PPP down.

Rang Zen again who said circuit had been in sync overnight but PPP had dropped and not recovered since 11 p.m. ish.

Recommended I change the RJ-11 cable so swapped it for a longer Tandy twisted pair one I had and router has been online for nearly two hours now.

Anyone else had an issue where the cable was found to be the cause as at the moment I'm not sure whether to raise a fault with Billion as the router is 2 months old.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Nov-14 14:41:53
Print Post

Re: PPP killed by a faulty RJ-11 cable?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

I think you're just going to have to wait and see what happens. It seems unlikely it would just cause PPP loss and not loss of sync but I am sure it is possible.

AAISP Home::1
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 22-Nov-14 15:17:14
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

Seems odd doesn't it but yes you are absolutely right.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sat 22-Nov-14 15:17:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Nov-14 15:35:05
Print Post

I would swap it back, just to check it was plugged securely into the phone socket.

I would automatically have checked all cable connections as a first step with that sort of fault. Something I learned from parallel and serial printers printing gibberish and PCs disappearing from networks even though the Ethernet cables were in place.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 22-Nov-14 17:41:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Rob

Yep first thing I checked when I discovered the issue as have sometimes nudged the plug when cleaning the cables under my desk.

It's been up for nearly 5 hours solidly, am going to leave things be tonight but am tempted to swap the router back in tomorrow to see how it fares.

What do you think?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Nov-14 18:41:35
Print Post

Oh, if you kept the Netgear on and things are fine now, then your (presumably) preferred Billion should be fine.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 23-Nov-14 11:36:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Put the Billion back in about 40 mins ago but left the longer RJ-11 on it, wonder if was just a case of the cable being too short and putting a bit of strain on the plug.

Print Thread

Jump to