Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User oldskool
(member) Fri 28-Nov-14 09:34:44
Print Post

Drop in SNR

[link to this post]

My sky broadband has been solid all year, 29.5db attenuation and 3.0dB SNR. Syncs around 17700-18400

Recently I noticed the SNR is down to 2.0. My SNR only fluctuates by 0.2db between morning and evening, it's very solid indeed. Does this lower SNR indicate a fault or does the dLM put it lower if it thinks it's stable enough?

Ps
I've restarted the sky router and it still seems to read at 2.0. Fibre recently went live too in my area in case that is a factor?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 28-Nov-14 09:51:13
Print Post

Re: Drop in SNR

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by oldskool:
My sky broadband has been solid all year, 29.5db attenuation and 3.0dB SNR. Syncs around 17700-18400

Recently I noticed the SNR is down to 2.0. My SNR only fluctuates by 0.2db between morning and evening, it's very solid indeed. Does this lower SNR indicate a fault or does the dLM put it lower if it thinks it's stable enough?

Ps
I've restarted the sky router and it still seems to read at 2.0. Fibre recently went live too in my area in case that is a factor?

I presume you are on an ADSL variant.

Most modern modems, which could be separate or integral to the hub, can work with a 3dB margin. A drop of 1dB is nothing to worry about - there is just a small change in the noise level - could be weather induced, FTTC connections going live, a cable moved.. The modem will hold the line until noise increases further or errors are getting too high and will then resync back to 3dB - either modem or DLM initiated. You will loose a little speed however for a single occurrence DLM is unlikely to give you any problem.

My old 2wire modem would actually hold sync right down to 0dB and sometimes even lower - I have seen -0.7dB previously.

Have you tried running Router Stats Lite to monitor your connection for 24 hours? And plot the SNR range over than time?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Nov-14 12:13:33
Print Post

Re: Drop in SNR

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

Your or a neighbour's Christmas lights? Possibly on a Christmas tree rather than the building.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to