Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User craggs
(committed) Mon 15-Dec-14 00:07:26
Print Post

Have I done my phone extension correctly or should I change

[link to this post]

After a recent upgrade to sky broadband I started thinking about an extension BT socket I fitted about a year ago,and if I did it correctly and used the correct wire etc.

My situation is I have a BT NTE5 socket with a openreach DSL/fibre splitter on it..It was fitted when I had a line fault a few years ago by openreach,but I only have standard BB.

So the situation is I bought a new NTE5 master socket and 5m od CW1308 cable.

I removed the DSL slitter fitted by openreach and resorted the master socket back to its standard way.

I wired the CW1308 cable to pins 2-5 on the master socket and the other end went to the A-B on the new NTE5 master socket and used the ADSL splitter plate on this socket that openreach fitted,this has my router and phone plugged in.

Now my issue is,was I ok using a NTE5 master socket as an extension?

Would it be better if I used CAT6 cable to wire this socket and bin the CW1308 as I want the best set up possible?

Or I have seen CAT6 RJ11-RJ11 DSL cables,would I be better plugging the router & phone back into the master socket and using an extension ADSL cable instead a 5m one?

It's not possible to have the router in the back bedroom due to wireless problems,so I need this 5m relocation of it through 2 thick walls.The master socket is in a really rubbish place!

Thanks!

Be Value 12mb was O2 Premium
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 15-Dec-14 00:16:13
Print Post

Re: Have I done my phone extension correctly or should I cha

[re: craggs] [link to this post]

If you have two masters then that is "wrong" and can have adverse effects.

The first termination on the line should be the master, and then wire to an extension (slave/secondary) socket from 2 & 5 to A&B as you have done. A master can easily be converted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User craggs
(committed) Mon 15-Dec-14 00:45:52
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Should I convert by taking the front part of the socket off, and replacing with a slave front? Also I have a XTE-2005 in the draw would this fit a slave socket.

Only reason I used a NTE5 as the extension socket was I thought that was the only socket the ADSL faceplate's fit.

Also should I replace wiring with CAT6 twisted pair, solid core?

Actually, I'm wondering if the XTE-2005 can in a anyway be used hard wired to he extension, it does have A-B terminals on the rear, though I'm sure I tried this and didn't get voice from it, only DSL.

Edited by craggs (Mon 15-Dec-14 00:49:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 15-Dec-14 00:54:33
Print Post

If you want a filtered faceplate at an extension you need an ADSL Nation xtf faceplate with an empty back box, not a master back box and test socket.

Edit: But on reflection I'm beginning to think we need a clearer explanation.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 15-Dec-14 00:59:06)

Standard User craggs
(committed) Mon 15-Dec-14 01:10:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I get it now,, this is wired of terminals 2-5. From the master socket.

And this is to be wired with CAT6 or the CW1308.

OK, the other issue is if I remember, when the open reach filtered faceplate was on,I couldn't work out how to do an extension from it, only a 'data' extension., I'm sure when connected pins 2-5 I didn't get voice.

This is my socket, ignore the router being plugged in direct, I cannot have it like that now

[IMG]http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w151/craggle_rock...[/IMG]

Standard User obroad
(newbie) Mon 15-Dec-14 08:15:29
Print Post

For what it's worth I doubt you'll have problems with it like that. The extra "bell" capacitor in the original socket will go nowhere so it won't affect operation. There's also a spark gap and a resistor. Again I don't think they'll matter.

If you are only using one pair in a cable then there shouldn't be a difference between cat5, 5e and 6. If you are using more than one pair then the crosstalk performance becomes important.

I bought a filter like that from Maplin and it had two terminals on the filter for a DSL extension, and you could use the terminals on the original plate for a voice extension. If you want your phones to ring you almost certainly will need the extra wire (can't remember the colour off hand) but as it is on the "voice" side of the filter it won't affect ADSL.
Standard User craggs
(committed) Mon 15-Dec-14 11:04:27
Print Post

[re: obroad] [link to this post]

The set up as it is,is only using 1pair in the wiring. It is CW1308 but it's not twisted pair. Which I thought it was.

With the nte5 as the master and a nte5 as the extension it's worked for a year that way with phone & broadband. Its only me now reading up as when I moved to sky my line started dropping at night so I started checking the socket I fitted, thought i had a fault,,it end up being DLM though. smile.

Obviously master socket would be better, and if I could used a ADSL lead (RJ11 TO RJ11) then that would stop me from needing another socket all together.

But as I was reading, I notice people not using nte5s as a extension socket.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Dec-14 13:48:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by craggs:
Actually, I'm wondering if the XTE-2005 can in a anyway be used hard wired to he extension, it does have A-B terminals on the rear, though I'm sure I tried this and didn't get voice from it, only DSL.

It probably would work if you used a female phone plug on the extension rather than hard wire it to A-B on a filtered faceplate smile
Standard User craggs
(committed) Mon 15-Dec-14 15:17:57
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

OK, so if I was to fit the XTE-2005 onto the BT master socket faceplate, which pins would I use 2/5 or A/B to run to my extension socket which will have voice and ADSL from it,

At the min the bottom plate on the BT socket has 2/5 running to the extension sockets A/B,, the extension socket has a BT filleted plate on it.,,

Standard User craggs
(committed) Mon 15-Dec-14 15:21:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

This is my current set up,ive had to draw it hehe

[IMG]http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w151/craggle_rock...[/IMG]

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to