Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sat 20-Dec-14 10:56:50
Print Post

Backup Internet Service

[link to this post]

I have concluded that a loss of internet service for me would be a real issue and therefore looking for a backup solution to at least have some hope of a continuous service.

OK I have a multi-pair cable coming into the premises with one exchange line providing an FTTC service from TalkTalk on the Midhurst, West Sussex exchange. That service is to an Openreach modem feeding a Draytek 2830vN router.

I also have a BT service just feeding a fax machine so that could be used for an ADSL service. The rental of the line is with BT and under contract for another 20 months.The BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER shows FTTC available on that line at 58/17 Mbps or ADSL at 17 Mbps.

So I could have an additional FTTC service with BT Infinity or and ADSL service from any ISP. The ADSL service does have the attraction of feeding the service into the 2830vN which presumably would automatically activate if the TalkTalk service was not working.

The downside of either choice is that if the overhead cable supply was damaged, then there would not be a service from either provider so its not 100% bomb proof for a continuous internet service but I could go for total care on the BT line to get a faster fault repair service.

So given the parameters that I have laid out here, what would be my most sensible option to run with? Thoughts of TBB forum users would be most appreciated.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Dec-14 11:21:55
Print Post

Re: Backup Internet Service

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

How's your mobile phone reception? For just a backup service, a mi-fi device on the best mobile network for your location would seem sensible. You can get some pretty good speeds, especially if you have 4G.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 20-Dec-14 12:35:25
Print Post

1 FTTC LLU
1 ADSL2+ non LLU
1 3g/4g service via USB dongle into router or MiFi device

Is the ideal, or if for work, then buddy up with someone on the next exchange

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Dec-14 09:19:37
Print Post

Others have answered the connectivity. If you are really worried about single point of failure then using the same router is one such point. You might want to keep a spare router as well already configured in case your router should die.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Jan-15 18:52:31
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I wish Netgear would get the AC785S (4G Wi-Fi portable hotspot) and DC113A (Ethernet / antenna / charging cradle) available in the UK. These devices were announced back in the summer.

These would appear to provide a good option for mobile backup. Normally you would leave the hotspot in the cradle connected to an Ethernet WAN port on your router for failover, but you have the ability to undock the hotspot if the router or home network has failed, or if you want to take the hotspot with you.

Standard User chowchow
(newbie) Thu 15-Jan-15 21:35:49
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Amazon advertising AC785S available on the 18th Jan.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Jan-15 09:58:54
Print Post

[re: chowchow] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chowchow:
Amazon advertising AC785S available on the 18th Jan.

The AC785S has been sporadically available over the past couple of months, though it has been out of stock for something like a month at Amazon. Unfortunately, there's no sign of the cradle being available anywhere, and without that there's no point upgrading from my existing AC762S.

I've decided I will not go ahead with any upgrade until both items are available. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any other company offering a similar "router and cradle" product.

Print Thread

Jump to